Planning refused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently made a planning application for a two storey rear extension.
The existing property is detached and the properties either side are staggered.

Viewing the property from the rear, the neighbour's prop on the left is approx 1M back and 2M away. The prop to the right is approx 3.5M further into garden and 2M away.

We were expecting to extend 3.5M depth up and down and the full width. On the 1st floor, the left corner would have been angled so that we do not impact the neighbour (45 degrees from the center of his window).

The council verbally told me that it would be fine and they came round took some picks and said it would be approved in about two weeks once they have reviewed with their peers. Two weeks later they told me that it will not be approved as the extension appears to be too big.
Followed by the official refusal on the following grounds:

"The proposed first floor rear extension, by reason of it's excessive width and depth, proximity to the boundary and overall bulk, would be an intrusive and unneighbourly addition, out of scale and character with this and surrounding dwellings, as well as having a serious and adverse effect on the amenities enjoyed by the occupants of the neighbouring properties and would be contrary to policy SP3 of the council's core strategy Development plan document and to policies BD1 and BD5 of the council's borough wide primary policies development plan document.
You are advised to contact the council's planning officer to discuss an alternative scheme.
The local planning authority has worked with the applicant in a positive manner and based on seeking solutions to problems that may arise when processing planning applications in line with the national planning policy framework 2012."

Now, the neighbour's are completely aware of me intentions and have no concern with the development.
The only option that the council recommend to me was that I reduce the depth by 500mm (I can live with that) and width to approx half (not worth the effort/cost) and quite frankly, this would then form as permitted development.

I am looking at the option to appeal by feel my Architect is not experienced enough to argue the case correctly. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, a little more information.

There is only a forest to the back beyond our garden fence. Looking at the property from the Garden, I would be approx facing west.
When the sun rises (when it really rises ;) ) it is hidden behind the trees till about 8am in the summer.

They have to consider future neighbours too, but basically the wind was blowing the wrong way when they "considered" your application. :(

Sponsored Links
As mentioned above, irrespective if your current neighbours don't have any issue, the LPA have to consider current "and" future neighbours. As well as the 45 degree rule, there is also the 25 degree rule, which really comes into effect when you're building near to the boundary.

Before you appeal, you should be entitled to a free go to amend the current proposals, re-submit and wait another 8 weeks for that decision. As it's a free go, you may as well use that before going down the expensive and prolonged appeal route.

What is the planning reference on the LPA website so we can have a look at the proposals and reasons for refusal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back