Refused Planning Permission for Rear Dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice. I'm Kind of lost. The work was in progress so kind of in limbo.

I received the following reason from the council awhile ago.

“The proposed extension would, by virtue of its flat roof, and eaves height, appearas an awkward and alien addition to the application property which would have adetrimental impact upon the character of the application property and that of thewider area. As such, it woud fail to accord with the visual amenity aims of policies 9and 20 of the Oldham Local Plan and the National Planning Policy Framework”

I’m looking for any helpful advice.

Sponsored Links
Redesign it in accordance with the planning policies

Redesign it to be permitted development (including check that it is not already)

Appeal

I assume the reason the work had already started was you thought it was permitted development but the council thought otherwise? Generally the only way you will get a large flat roof dormer is if it is within permitted development. The size allowances for rear dormers is very generous so you should usually be able to modify it to fall within permitted development.

What was wrong that it wasn't PD? Ridge height? Gap to eaves? Volume?

Sponsored Links
I assume the reason the work had already started was you thought it was permitted development but the council thought otherwise? Generally the only way you will get a large flat roof dormer is if it is within permitted development. The size allowances for rear dormers is very generous so you should usually be able to modify it to fall within permitted development.

What was wrong that it wasn't PD? Ridge height? Gap to eaves? Volume?

The only info was the one I posted. No other reason was given.

Redesign it in accordance with the planning policies

Redesign it to be permitted development (including check that it is not already)

Appeal
Redesign it how? All rear dormers look the same.

OMG that's awful. Even my firewall rejected it.

How about

foto_no_exif (2).jpg

looks like a 3 storey extension? So won't come under permitted development - and PD rules don't apply in conservation areas - might not be, but that response hints at it.

How much of the build has been done already?

looks like a 3 storey extension? So won't come under permitted development - and PD rules don't apply in conservation areas - might not be, but that response hints at it.

How much of the build has been done already?

Lowered the floors to create room for a 2nd floor. Application from building control wasn't an issue.

Most of it has been done. Missing is the window and cream render to blend with the rest.

That is not a rear dormer! It is a second floor extension. No wonder it was rejected it is bloody terrible. o_O

Why on earth did you start work before you had received the planning decision? Anyway Woody's idea is about all you could salvage from the wreckage but for the amount of useable space you will gain I cannot really see the point.

A nice simple hip to gable conversion to the main roof would have been better.

That is not a rear dormer! It is a second floor extension. No wonder it was rejected it is bloody terrible. o_O

Why on earth did you start work before you had received the planning decision? Anyway Woody's idea is about all you could salvage from the wreckage but for the amount of useable space you will gain I cannot really see the point.

A nice simple hip to gable conversion to the main roof would have been better.

Believe it or not, I thought it was allowed under permitted development especially after having an application from building control approved.

Since it's a 2nd story extension, is there a difference in the application?

What should I do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back