planning regs for converting garage

D

dianna

Hey,

I live on a farm that we own, and Id like to convert a garage, which is in the curtilage of our garden, into a one bedroom accommodation. What are the planning regs for this?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
If the garage is associated with the house, which being in the garden assume it is, I think you need planning permission for change of use and for changes in appearance.

I assume you live in open countryside, in which case whilst it may be feasible creating new dwellings is harder and often only consented in limited circumstances (e.g. national planning policy, NPPF, states acceptability for workers accommodation) - your local authority will also have its own additional rules so it is hard to say for certain.

You may also have agricultural clauses etc. on a farm property to consider.

You could query with the local authority or ask a local planning consultant, or an architect with experience on this type of work would know. You could also use the formal pre-application advice from the local authority for a small fee, you may be able to do the paperwork yourself and they would tell you in principal if acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back