Planning rules on extensions to be relaxed 'to boost economy

Tony, I can't really see what all the fuss is about. There's no point re-drafting the 2008 Act to change some minor wording or point of grammer. If they did that it would be never ending. Whatever it says, or doesn't say, we all know both X and Y in your sketch are rear walls for the purposes of permitted development. Life's too short isn't it?

Sponsored Links
John; The point I was trying to make was the more general one that the wording of statutes should be clear and unambiguous.
Rightly or wrongly, I personally believe that once authorities start putting their own -incorrect - interpretations on words, it's the thin end of a dangerous wedge.

Sponsored Links
You did Tony, with your tiresome complaining about some poor grammar.

Freddy, you keep missing the point. It wasn't poor grammar I was complaining about; the grammar in the statute itself is clear and concise. It is the perfidious interpretation by DCLoG in the Technical Guidance that needles me.

Grammar or interpretation, it adds up to the same thing, the technical guidance removes some of the ambiguity, you are surmising that the original text has been taken out of context. I think you just like to complain.

Were that the case, we may as well not have any statutes at all because whatever was written down, ministers would decide for themselves what the rules were. It would be government by ministerial decree.

And no, I'm not a complainer - I just don't like seeing the gradual erosion of democracy and the rule of law.

It's in place now.
You still have to comply with Building regs, but there is now no need to apply for planning permission unless the extension is over 8m for a detached house.
I heard Eric Pickles say so this morning.

It's in place now.
You still have to comply with Building regs, but there is now no need to apply for planning permission unless the extension is over 8m for a detached house.
I heard Eric Pickles say so this morning.
I think you need to change your hearing aid batteries.

Well, I've recorded what he said.
He was on the Daily Politics.
I've just played it back and that's what I wrote.
Why the rude snipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back