Planning rules on extensions to be relaxed 'to boost economy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here yet, do you think it's real or will local plans mean it's pointless?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19496204

8m Extentions? Presumably not if your PD rights have been taken away.

Wonder if this affects Affordable Housing quotas, blamed for lack of development in York for example.

Sponsored Links
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here yet, do you think it's real or will local plans mean it's pointless?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19496204

8m Extentions? Presumably not if your PD rights have been taken away.

Wonder if this affects Affordable Housing quotas, blamed for lack of development in York for example.

8 metres! That's as deep as my house.

It's supposed to be for one year only. I wonder how it will be determined which extensions fall under it. Started within the year? Completed within the year?

What about extensions already started, that exceed the old PD limits but fall within the new, temporary ones? Or similar extensions finished within the past 4 years, that could currently be subject to enforcement action? Will they be immune during the year? Will they cease to be immune again after the year is up?

Sounds attractive, but I bet it's as well thought out as anything else arising from this government's febrile imagination.

Nonetheless, I am watching with interest.

Cheers
Richard

Yes, does appear to be going from one extreme to another, would have been simpler to say all PD rights are restored to properties where councils saw fit to remove them.

Wonder if there's an MP who's been struggling to get permission for an 8m extension somewhere - problem now solved?

Sponsored Links
That'll come in handy the next time somebody wants an 8m extension.

I wonder if there will be any changes to what extensions can be built at the side of a property.

I wonder if there will be any changes to what extensions can be built at the side of a property.

Yes, this is an issue when someone wants to do a single-storey wrap round, (ie an 'L'-shaped extension) where the width across the back is > 1/2 the width of the house.
Even if it goes rearwards less than 3 (4)m, and causes no adverse impact on neighbours, this still needs p.p.
Abolishing this nonesense would also enable more pd extensions and hopefully give more over-paid and under-employed planning officers their P45s.

A newspaper article I read on this suggests they've simply doubled the limit. In which case, perhaps you will be able extend 100% to the side, and cover all of your curtilege with outbuildings ;) Though I doubt that whoever came up with this over the Cabinet table has the first idea about planning.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks guys, I'm hoping there's a proportional increase to the side extension rule as we're planning an L shaped extension.

I've been searching this morning to try and find out further details about the proposal but have been unsuccessful. Even the press release on the 10 Dowing st website has little detail except the rear extension dimensions.

Thanks guys, I'm hoping there's a proportional increase to the side extension rule as we're planning an L shaped extension.

I've been searching this morning to try and find out further details about the proposal but have been unsuccessful. Even the press release on the 10 Dowing st website has little detail except the rear extension dimensions.

This link says that the change will be in place till the end of 2015, though that might not be right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/sep/06/building-rules-what-changes-mean-homeowners-extend

It also says there will be a month-long consultation, so maybe you should get your two penn'orth in about your side extension.

Cheers
Richard

What about extensions already started, that exceed the old PD limits but fall within the new, temporary ones? Or similar extensions finished within the past 4 years, that could currently be subject to enforcement action?

Couldn't the homeowner just apply for a lawful development certificate during the year?

It won't do anything to change the already hideous loft (dormer)conversions that are springing up and down the country.

Are people blind or what?

Some of the 'warts' appearing on the top of houses are hilarious. There should be a tree dedicated to any architect or builder that produces these monstrosities, so that they can swing from its branches.

It won't do anything to change the already hideous loft (dormer)conversions that are springing up and down the country.

Are people blind or what?

Some of the 'warts' appearing on the top of houses are hilarious. There should be a tree dedicated to any architect or builder that produces these monstrosities, so that they can swing from its branches.

Quite agree. Though I'm not convinced that putting things through the planning process gives more aesthetically pleasing results. And it pales into insigificance next to uPVC windows.

The only amplification I've seen so far on the new proposal was Eric Pickles saying you wouldn't be able to extend "more than half way down your garden". Which sounds like a garbled rendition of the 50% of curtilage rule.

Cheers
Richard

I doubt that any "changes" to the planning process will have an effect on the state of our economy....

the government still seems to conveniently "overlook" the real "stumbling block" that is seriously hampering recovery

what is this?

simply - finance!

lots of people want to move house but cannot due to financial institutions refusing to lend

if people cannot move house then....

estate agents suffer
solicitors suffer
removal firms suffer
retail outlets suffer (no one needs a new bed/sofa)
tradesmen suffer - no alterations/rewires/replumb/kitchens etc
builders merchants suffer (see above)
etc
etc

So we have a situation engineered by financial institutions due to their greed

we (the public) have to bale them out

They repay us by refusing to lend us any money

How the hell does that work?????? :confused:

' WE SHOULD BE CONTENT TO MAKE THE WHOLE COUNTRY HIDEOUS IF WE KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT BY DOING SO WE COULD ALSO MAKE ALL THE PEOPLE IN IT MODERATELY HAPPY'

J.B.Priestly; 'Houses', 1927. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back