Planning rules on extensions to be relaxed 'to boost economy

I wonder if there will be any changes to what extensions can be built at the side of a property.

Yes I too am interested to hear anything about that particular issue in the new proposal... My house is sideways on to the road - so I can currently only extend a very small amount under permitted development.

Anyone read anything relating to side extension relaxation?

Sponsored Links
'I wonder if it will affect loft conversions'

I read this on this site:
http://www.mypropertyguide.co.uk/ar...lanning-regulations-permitted-development.htm

"Volume allowances will still apply to loft conversions. Lofts to detached properties can be converted without planning permission provided any dormers do not add more than 50 cubic metres to the property. That allowance is 50 cubic metres on a detached house reducing to 40 cubic metres on semi-detached and terraced houses. Dormer windows will still not be permitted to the elevation facing the highway."

Does this mean they are reducing the allowance for semi's from 50 to 40cu mts ? or is the article duff ...

Sponsored Links
'I wonder if it will affect loft conversions'

I read this on this site:
http://www.mypropertyguide.co.uk/ar...lanning-regulations-permitted-development.htm

"Volume allowances will still apply to loft conversions. Lofts to detached properties can be converted without planning permission provided any dormers do not add more than 50 cubic metres to the property. That allowance is 50 cubic metres on a detached house reducing to 40 cubic metres on semi-detached and terraced houses. Dormer windows will still not be permitted to the elevation facing the highway."

Does this mean they are reducing the allowance for semi's from 50 to 40cu mts ? or is the article duff ...

That page isn't discussing the proposed changes, but previous changes.

Cheers
Richard

Is that right, I cant see any dates on the article at all.

If that refers to previous proposed changes - were thye 40 cu sq metres allowances ever applied to semi detached properties ?

Thanks, thats more definitive :)

I wonder what date that article was from ...

To boost economy? People will still need the money to get the things built though.

To boost economy? People will still need the money to get the things built though.
I think what the movers and shakers are inferring is that people who could only afford to extend rather than move to a bigger house (which tends to cost a lot more) and who were previously put of by planning red tape, may go ahead and do so.

This has a benefit to the construction industry as well as enabling home owners the freedom to continue forward, i.e. stay put and move on with their lives, careers etc.

I guess those to lose out are estate agents........ :p

To be honest I don't see the point in extending. Once you've spent the money, you may as well have moved as its not always necessarily cheaper to extend. You'll never get your money back if you wanted to sell either as it'll be the same house just a bit bigger in the same location.

To be honest I don't see the point in extending. Once you've spent the money, you may as well have moved as its not always necessarily cheaper to extend. You'll never get your money back if you wanted to sell either as it'll be the same house just a bit bigger in the same location.

Sorry my friend but that is nonsense on so many levels. If your house is in a desirable area and you extend sensibly you will not only get the money back but you will add value.

It all depends on what sort of house in what sort of area you are talking about. If are talking about spending £30k on a £75k terraced house in the North then you might well be right.

However you could easily spend £250k on some houses and add loads of extra value.

In my own case I love my location, I don't want to live anywhere else except the very street I'm on. I just want a bigger house and so will (and have) extend.

I spoke with the Department for Communities & Local Government - and they are not giving out any more information at this stage - instead reading out a very short statement to that effect over the phone.

I asked about the side extension situation - and they again referred to their short statement.

Oh well.. :rolleyes:

Sorry my friend but that is nonsense on so many levels. If your house is in a desirable area and you extend sensibly you will not only get the money back but you will add value.

It all depends on what sort of house in what sort of area you are talking about. If are talking about spending £30k on a £75k terraced house in the North then you might well be right.

However you could easily spend £250k on some houses and add loads of extra value.

In my own case I love my location, I don't want to live anywhere else except the very street I'm on. I just want a bigger house and so will (and have) extend.

No need to be sorry at all.

So, tell me, how much for a typical double extension?

It's all in they eyes of the beholder. Ask anyone trying to sell a house they've spent 50k plus on. They will NOT get their money back.

Only extend if you no longer wish to move or don't wish to ever recover that money back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back