Planning stages - copper tubing side table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a small tray-table to go next to my chair in the front room. Nothing I've seen in the shops fits the bill. So I'm contemplating the DIY route. I really like the warm colour of copper pipe/tubing, but I've never worked with it before.

My current thinking is to make a stand onto which I can place a tray, rather than to attach a permanent table top.

One simple idea would be to use some coiled copper tubing. I envisage a single loop, lying flat on the floor as the base, then rising, still looping, through 360 degrees, and then finishing with another flat loop - serving as the tray support.

I imagine that this would not bear much of a load (or even stand?) on it's own - that the tubing would require some sort internal support.

I wonder: is there is something that I can pour into the tube that will then set to provide that support? (I've never worked with the stuff, but my lazy side wonders if expanding foam would do the trick... Google is singularly unhelpful on this.)

Any thoughts or top tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It could work if the tube remained in contact all the way up, as a solid cylinder. Otherwise, as said, it would act like a spring. And forming it would be problematic.

Expanding foam wouldn't stop it acting as a spring, but you wouldn't be able to fill it with foam in any case. It would just stick to the sides near the opening and no more would go in.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back