Planning to replace old electrical cables outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys hope everyone is well and safe. As the title above, I am planning to replace the old electric cable from the wall, problem is, it’s embeeded and the only option (for what I think) is cut the wire (leaving few inches) install IP rated angle junction box and extend (re-wire) a new weatherproof electric cable running with flexi conduit? Is this right? Can someone advice the proper way to do it? Please see attached photo. Thanks.
82704FEA-3363-4B81-AE4A-3F6D2F16780D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Certainly putting a IP junction box over the cable as it comes out the wall is a good idea. SO the cables go in the back. (leaving plenty of wire)

Yes to a proper IP rated box where the cables come through the wall.

It’s not clear where the other wires go, but I would run rigid, not flexible, conduit to the light and the other places, using appropriate Angle and t-junctions etc. No need for special cable inside the conduit.

you can paint the conduit to match the wall

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestion the proper way to rewire? All I know is use a choc box connector. And please see attached photo where the old cables run: 1st cable connected to weather proof double socket to power up flood light and extension cord (for cctv), the other cable goes to the wall lamp and straight to another lamp on the side wall.
26446D28-74E3-4F31-ABE6-552A719A29B6.png

Sponsored Links
There’s a lot of strange things going on there. WTF is that box above the door? Is that a double socket?

Personally, I like FP cable for a nice neat run, it tends to stay where it is put. White hard plastic outer, with an alloy sheath under that. I would come out of the hole in the wall, then run both cables together on the next mortar joint down - thus avoiding rain tracking into the building. Where it needs to drop off at the light, I would install an IP rated box, with gland/flex out the bottom to that light. Similar idea with any other lights it feeds. I would make sure each IP rated box, included a drain hole at the lowest point too.

if you screw your weatherproof box to the wall, and it has a hole in the back for cable entry, then water and insects can also enter that hole.

You can use a weatherproof cable cland, or gland a short length of conduit into it, pushing it through the wall to whatever's on the other side. This will also protect the cable in the wall from chafing so is I think the best option.

If you are using flexible conduit, you can buy it in a pack with a set of glands. Though I think rigid conduit looks better, and you can paint it if you want.

Quite honestly, there's a lot of spaghetti hanging off that wall, some seems to disappear in to the wall, some comes in/goes out of the mystery socket.
I think you should sort out what exactly is going on there. If that is beyond you, then get someone in.

Thanks guys, just came back from holiday and about to do the work this week with some of your guidance above. I Have some question though, what sort of electric cable (conductor size) should I use 1.5mm or 2.5mm? Is it safe to run 2 x cables in 1 conduit? Thanks

Thanks guys, just came back from holiday and about to do the work this week with some of your guidance above. I Have some question though, what sort of electric cable (conductor size) should I use 1.5mm or 2.5mm? Is it safe to run 2 x cables in 1 conduit? Thanks

1.5mm is fine for most domestic lighting circuits. 2 cables in one conduit is fine if they are not a tight fit. Probably will not affect your installation, but where cables pass through metal conduits, bushes, holes in metal or etc. both flow and return cables must pass through same conduit, bush, or etc. to avoid eddy currents being set up in the metalwork.

I checked the 2x old cable on the wall and both are in different size. I presumed the cable going to the light is 1mm and to the socket is 1.5mm.. so in this case I will get the 1mm and 1.5mm respectively. One more thing, is this type of electrical connectors recommended to be placed inside IP66 junction box?

13164B43-B323-4F8A-8710-2DF4AFD96018.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back