Brick lights/extending cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi grateful for a bit of advice before I get the BCO officer involved with this and possibly get told off!
I am currently in the process of building a couple of garden walls that will house a brick light in each pier. My plan, to make future maintenance easier was to run SWA from the power source (photocell/FCU) to small Wiska junction boxes, then run the cable from the brick lights through some flexi conduit into the junction boxes. The plan was to make everything accessible in case of future probs.
After searching high and low, I finally located some nice IP68 brick lights, but to my disappointment they only came with 600mm of pre wired cable! Much too short for the distance from the light to the junction box.
My question is, is there a way of extending this cable whilst still managing to keep it in the flexi conduit? I was thinking along the lines of crimping but am aware that this will have virtually no ip rating? What would anyone else suggest? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Let's get the simplest question out of the way first, though I think I know the answer.

Can you replace the flex for a longer one?

Fraid not, already tried to access the cable in the back of the light. It seems to be potted in, I assume to retain the ip rating. Bit hazard to try prising bits off just in case the lights get wrecked!

Crimp and heat shrink. You can get heat shrink that also melts some kind of adhesive giving a really nice waterproof joint. Or some carefully applied self amalgamating tape over the cripmed connections.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like just the job. If anyone can point me in the direction of this type of heat shrink I'd be eternally grateful! Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back