Wiring a brick light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install a brick light in a yet to be built front garden wall, which will be double thickness.
Im planning to use swa cable from the house to a suitable IP rated junction box, fixed to the inner wall (i.e. soil side) then suitable rubber flex or flat t&e from the JB through the wall to the unit.
Would use swa gland at the jb.

Anyone know if this is ok or a better method I should use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be better to choose a light that you can gland the swa into directly.

If not a 3x3 box on the inner wall coupled to the back of the light with a short length of plastic 20mm pipe and 2 end adaptors, stripping the swa long enough to pass through the box into the light with no terminations

Hi 333, many thanks for that quick reply. Good suggestion too. I haven't looked properly yet for the unit but I gather from forums not many can take a gland fitting, but we'll see.

Also, I may want to add another lamp nearby at the same time so maybe a junction box would be best as I could supply the second lamp from it.

Thanks again

Don't bury the JB too deep - you'll need it to be accessible for the regular emptying out of water.

Sponsored Links
I am planning to connect the cable inside the house/garage via a 3 pin plug rather than permanent connection - does this make a difference as to what cable type I have to use outdoors? for example, can I use SY cable or even rubberised flex? or has it always got to be SWA?
Thanks

The cable must be suitable for it's environment - how and where the ends connect does not change that.

You can't fit SWA into a plug.

Yes swa it will have to be.
I was intending to terminate the swa at a junction box then run flex from there to a plug/socket.

Thanks

So you'll have an external light powered via a cable running through a wall to a plug inside the house.

Tacky bodge.

It may be connected to a lighting circuit later but for now the socket is ok, especially as I might want to use a timer.
What's the issue about a cable going through a wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back