Using SWA & NYY-J cable outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I'm planning outdoor lighting scheme using Swa cable to suitable junction box, then I was considering using nyy-j cable to the light units - 1 about 1/2 metre away thru brickwork and another about 4 metres away with the cable under soil.

Any advice if this is ok? Nyy-j cable is perfectly suitable for outdoor use but I believe if buried it needs to be in conduit / protected?

I could just use swa to each light fitting but there would need to be a jb at each point as the fittings do not have a 20mm entry point for a gland fitting and it's easier to wire anyway with the more flexible nyy-j cable.

I'm happy to fix a jb at each point, using nyy-j cable and appropriate glands.

Many thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Any advice if this is ok?
It's not.

Nyy-j cable is perfectly suitable for outdoor use but I believe if buried it needs to be in conduit / protected?
It does.

I could just use swa to each light fitting but there would need to be a jb at each point as the fittings do not have a 20mm entry point for a gland fitting
Then they are not fit for purpose.

Then they are not fit for purpose. ??

Many outdoor light fittings intended for domestic / residential purpose do not have 20mm entry fittings.

If they are intended to be used with the cable to them buried then they are not fit for purpose.

Sponsored Links
Eland Cables said:
The NYY cable range includes NYY-J and NYY-O cables. These are widely used European power and control cables designed for fixed wiring installation with a voltage rating of 600/1000V. They can be safely deployed in most applications where mechanical stresses are not anticipated – indoors, outdoors, direct burial underground, in concrete, or submerged in water. When these cables are required to comply with the UK wiring regulations BS7671 for burial in the ground, they require installation in a conduit or duct to provide protection against mechanical damage. They are not suitable for installation in concrete which is shaken, vibrated or compressed.
By the time you have installed the conduit or duct you may as well use SWA with a JB at each fitting.

Thanks ericmark, what cable would you recommend from JB to the fitting? Is Nyy-j over the top?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back