Outdoor cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an outside socket and I am looking to run a spur to a weatherproof enclosure. The cable run will only be about 30cm and will be at waist height. SWA would offer the most protection but could Hi-tuf/nyy-j be used instead and would it need any extra protection?

BTW - I'm in Scotland in regards to Part P

Sponsored Links
The selection of cable and containment would be best specified by any external and environmental influences. So an assessment of these are best made, Ideally SWA would cover most of the effects, but Hituf or cable routed within conduit is general fine for surface mounted cable on a secure structure at waist height.
The spur should not be taken from a spur if the circuit is a ring final circuit, as this would then need to be protected by a FCU at the intersection of the first spurred socket from the true ring. Also 30mA RCD protection would be required .

The outside socket is currently protected by a FCU and 30mA RCD.
Would plastic conduit surfice when using Hituf?

Sponsored Links
As above, I would use conduit and T&E.

Hi-Tuf is fine, in itself, but a PITA to install unless its a nice warm sunny day.
In January it will decide its own shape, usually the profile of the cable drum.

I have been known in Winter to put cut lengths of cable in a slow oven... ;)

Hi, sorry to butt in. Under what conditions can Hituf be run without conduit? Above ground but outdoors, for example clipped to external walls?

APPLICATION: Industrial wiring and mains distribution. Particularly suitable for warehousing, golf courses, flood lighting, farms, water works and gantry wiring. Suitable clipped direct, on tray, buried in concrete and in ducting. Can be laid direct in the ground subject to additional mechanical protection as stated in BS7671

Nylon glands: HITUF® cables can be terminated using impact resistant nylon glands fitted with a nitrile rubber bush to provide weatherproof entry. Where these cables are to be installed in Zone 1 and Zone 2 fire risk areas, a flame proof gland should be used

Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to use SWA and ordered all the relvant bits however I have run into a small problem. I ordered 2.5mm swa with 25mm external glands as this is the size of the knockouts on the exterior socket, however when it arrived I discovered that the minimum size SWA that can be used with 25mm glands is 10mm and for 2.5mm swa it should be 20mm glands which then don't fit the knockouts on the exterior socket.

So new plan is to just to use 25mm ip66 stuffing glands with NYY-J exterior cable housed in 25mm plastic conduit. (I may also insert a piece of 20mm plastic conduit inside the 25mm for a bit of extra protection) Does this sound acceptable?

Just buy some galvanised conduit reducing bushings for 25/20mm (screwfix sell them) and buy some 20 or 20S glands for the SWA (I think you need 20S but best to check the chart).

20 and 20S thread sizes for mounting are the same, before you ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back