Advice for wiring brick lights

Yep, from what I've already read on the site and elsewhere, RCD isnt the correct protection, and MCB is the way to go.
How will you get the cables all the way between CU and lights without needing an RCD?

1. Any particular type of conduit recommended for recessing into the wall?
2. Any particular type of cable recommended, is T&E ok if its in conduit and recessed, or should it be Hi-Tuf, as SWA isnt really workable between the lights?
3. I assume a parallel circuit is the way to go?
4. What type of connections should be used along the circuit to join into the lights, i.e junction boxes?

I'd insist that whichever electrician undertakes the job, can work with the brickie to ensure it's done right and to 'spec'.
Actually - don't bother to answer that - I just don't believe you any more.

Sponsored Links
Had a local electrician come around yesterday to quote for the job.
We arrived at two options.

1) Run new connection from CU out to wall and connect from there (which would mean an outside switch to turn them on\off)

2) Take the 'supply' off of the downstairs 'ring main', accessible from beside the patio doors, which are on a RCD protected MCB at the CU, which would mean a switch inside the house.

There are 1
He will run SWA (4 core) from the house to the wall to provide the main supply and then run either conduit\or SWA between lights, although acknowledged it will be more difficult to connect them to the back of the lights.

Does option 2 sound OK?

Estimated about £260 for the job (= days labour @£200 + materials)

Thanks in advance

Plan view of patio (to scale)

Sponsored Links
flexible conduit may be a better idea as you can tuck the slack back into the wall ( assuming it's built with a void. or that there is space behind the light.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back