Advice on Kitchen Extractor from lighting and RCD.

Not needed unless there are new cables concealed in a wall, or the maker specifies one (unlikely with a fan).

Sponsored Links
If the lights are loop in it wont......

Wont switch the fan on and off when the lights go on or off as you could have a permanent supply to the fan.
sorrry just noticed timer which obviously would require the permanent live!!

If the lights are loop in then there will also be a switch line obviously.

Are you suggesting that it would not be possible to control a fan with out a timer using the switch line from the pendant to operate the fan via light switch?

My advice would be to run in a 3 core and cpc cable from the pendant to a 3 pole isolator then to the fan. This means you can connect the the loop in line, neutral and the switch line from the kitchen light. this will let you operate the fan via light switch and let the timer over run.

If you surface mount the cable there will be no need for rcd protection.

Im not suggesting anything, you suggested that.
As far as im concerned he can do whatever he deems necessary.

Although i personally wouldnt go with trunking as you suggest as it will most probably look sh1te. But each to their own i suppose.

Forgive me as I must have misunderstood this post. I was under the impression that you were saying that there was no way of letting the fan work off the light switch when wired into the ceiling rose.

Running the cable surface mount is not aesthetically pleasing but would not require RCD protection. Fact not an instruction!

Also have you looked into getting a fan with a trickle setting. They tend to be quiet but run continuously It would just require a permanent line, neutral and cpc. This could be an option if you don't want the louder noise from the fan when you turn on the lights. It will also be considerably quieter than having a normal fan on continuously.

Sponsored Links
The Fan i'm going to use is the same as i have in my bathroom - and i'm going to give this to the electrician to install. It's a very quiet fan and not really noticeable at all - especially with all the noise in my house anyway. Thanks for some good adice AT LAST from some posts that seem to know what they are talking about, if my electrician says i need an RCBO to replace my MCB, then i will say i do not - even though the work is in a kitchen and cables not buried in the wall. I'm only using surface trunking as i do'nt want my celing damaged.

The Fan i'm going to use is the same as i have in my bathroom - and i'm going to give this to the electrician to install. It's a very quiet fan and not really noticeable at all - especially with all the noise in my house anyway.
Nice.

Thanks for some good adice AT LAST from some posts that seem to know what they are talking about,
The ones who said what you wanted to hear?

if my electrician says i need an RCBO to replace my MCB, then i will say i do not - even though the work is in a kitchen and cables not buried in the wall.
Trusting soul aren't you?

Perhaps you'll get the one in a million who is honest.

What if he says that's not a sensible way to have it operating?

I'm only using surface trunking as i do'nt want my celing damaged.
As above.

Note to self: Decline enquiries about fitting kitchen fans for a couple of weeks.

The Fan i'm going to use is the same as i have in my bathroom
Are you sure that this fan will meet the Building Regulation requirements Part F for a kitchen. Its 30 l/s by the hob and 60 l/s elsewhere - quite a few bathroom fans run at 15 l/s.

Could you please elaborate what you meant by this;

Wont switch the fan on and off when the lights go on or off as you could have a permanent supply to the fan.
sorrry just noticed timer which obviously would require the permanent live!!
I still can't interpret what what you mean if not what I have suggested!

Also EFLImpudance I think its up to the op which method is chosen with regards to his/her personal choice as long as the install is safe and conforms to BS7671. I certainly would not knock a job back if the customer wanted surface mount with no RCD if that is what they wanted due to cost, Maybe unsightly for my own personal taste, but if the customer wanted to install this way then that is their choice.

Also EFLImpudance I think its up to the op which method is chosen with regards to his/her personal choice as long as the install is safe and conforms to BS7671.
Certainly.

I certainly would not knock a job back if the customer wanted surface mount with no RCD if that is what they wanted due to cost
I agree. Nor would I.

You have misunderstood my reasons for declining.

Are you sure that this fan will meet the Building Regulation requirements Part F for a kitchen. Its 30 l/s by the hob and 60 l/s elsewhere - quite a few bathroom fans run at 15 l/s

I could do with a 60l/s in the toilet sometimes.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I get the OP's choices- I don't mind having pipes and conduit on the surface, at least you know where everything is rather than hidden, quite like the semi-industrial look anyway.

Our kitchen extractor though is, THANKFULLY, switched separately from the lights, it's a noisy b***ard... The missus now wants it replaced(it's a very basic boxy thing on the ceiling) with a "proper" hood extractor over the cooker, but now my problems are that the existing one is nowhere near directly above the hob, and it means ripping down some of the ceiling to remove it and install the new one(wiring and ducting) and patch the existing hole to get it centred on the back wall above the hob.

Suppose this is meant to be notifiable to the electric police? ;)

I wasnt suggesting it wasnt possible vibro i was just saying that if loop in was available then we wouldnt even need to be arguing about it coming on and off with the light switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back