Led security light feed from existing light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is possible:confused:
I'm fitting one 16 watt LED PIR flood on a rear wall.
There are 3 existing conventional lights on the same wall switched from inside the house. The cable for these runs in trunking past where the new PIR light will be fixed.
Is it somehow possible to tap into this circuit to power the PIR light without having to have the 3 existing lights constantly on?
Trying to avoid running a separate cable to the new light.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As your new light with PIR requires a permanent live supply , you can't connect it to the other lights if they don't have a permanently live feed.

Oh what a tangled web. I have smart bulbs switch on with a smart switch, and there is nothing to stop using a smart PIR to turn on the smart lights, the possibilities are endless.

I feel it is more secure if the rear of house is not lit, however the law permits one to watch an intruder to walk into a danger, but does not allow one to set a trap.

So the idea of lighting the way part way then plunging the intruder into darkness may appeal, but likely not strictly legal. In my case the PIR does not see anyone past corner of house, so not set as a trap, but does the same thing.

I have outside lights which I can switch on with my phone, so I can see route to door, but would not class them as security lights, I think it is better not to assist an intruder with lights.

Oh what a tangled web. I have smart bulbs switch on with a smart switch, and there is nothing to stop using a smart PIR to turn on the smart lights, the possibilities are endless.

I feel it is more secure if the rear of house is not lit, however the law permits one to watch an intruder to walk into a danger, but does not allow one to set a trap.

So the idea of lighting the way part way then plunging the intruder into darkness may appeal, but likely not strictly legal. In my case the PIR does not see anyone past corner of house, so not set as a trap, but does the same thing.

I have outside lights which I can switch on with my phone, so I can see route to door, but would not class them as security lights, I think it is better not to assist an intruder with lights.
I'm not "setting a trap" .I simply want to light up a passageway for my convenience. "not strictly legal" ?? An intruder should not be there in the first place!

Sponsored Links
I find the phone works better than a PIR, I switch on light when I want it, not for some one who as you point out should not be there, but I call it rear flood lights, not a security light as it has nothing to do with security.

Is it somehow possible to tap into this circuit to power the PIR light without having to have the 3 existing lights constantly on?

Yes swap the bulbs in the 3 existing lights for smart bulbs.

Use the CPC, set a "trap" for the next electrician!

(This is a joke!!!)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back