Planting/stabilising a steep loose bank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last year I hand excavated a vast amount of the ground in front of our patio doors to create a proper garden area for entertaining etc. The material that came out is fully glacial till- ie sand/gravel/stones/small boulders and I dumped it across the way down an existing unstable slope, which must be near 45 degrees, 5m down. It's added a few feet width to the top area (which shows no sign of slippage down the slope or water channels etc,) and I was hoping that time and water percolation may cause it to bind over time.
I've put down 6 inches of soil on the top(level) part of the slope and seeded it, hopefully when this is established the top of the slope will be fully protected.
I would however like to somehow grass the slope as it looks bad from the road, but to just put soil on it and seed it might not work- it might just destabilise and slip like an avalanche does?
Any ideas how I could stabilise the slope? I've considered using some form of wire/synthetic netting down the slope and try and stake it from the top, add soil and seed it, maybe some grasses that like sh*te conditions?
Another idea would be to bang in some rebar or rods across the face of the slope and add some timber edging to stop the soil slipping down- sort of terracing, and then work from the bottom up the slope doing this, adding soil to the existing rubbish and mix it in in small bays then seed it. The timber would not be visible and may eventually rot out but hopefully this would be years away and the slope may be stable by then?
Any advice appreciated- it's so steep no one will be walking on it and if it's grassed it'll be cut with a flymo on a rope most likely:cool:

Sponsored Links
there is a prodcut sold by civil engineering companies called geocell (or other similar brand names.) You pin in to the slope and fill with soil and then overseed. Or fill it with gravel but that obviuously doesn't cover the cell edges as well. It is very effective at erosion control.

Here is one as an example but many companies do their own versions.

http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/civil/geocell-erosion-protection.htm

Good link that but it seems (Bodcell) a bit heavy duty more suited to civils applications. It's good it gives the dimensions of the pins they use to hold it, that's a starting point!
The rebar/edging boards may be the best solution- to simply put mesh down the slope and pin it at the top would probably be too much of a load, maybe if it was pinned through the mesh at regular intervals it may work...?

You need to plant it. Roots will bind it together. The sort of wild grasses you see on sand dunes would be better as sounds very well drained.

Sponsored Links
have a look around because i have used some for exactly the purpose you describe on a site that had 50deg clay slopes that had been cut out. I managed to find a slightly lighter grade of it and it has been very effective.

The other good option is plant it with a lot of cotoneasters or similar which in the longer term will cover it pretty well but you have the short term erosion problem to deal with then.

My mum stays near a beach but to rip out some marram grasses would be an offence no doubt because the beach is already suffering from erosion and receding dunes. Aldi had grasses in recently which said were ideal for sandy/rocky planting, but as per usual the day they were put out I was working in a remote place so by the time I got there they were all gone...!
I'll try and post up some pics but it's not a huge area, worth a bash at something!:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back