Plasma up Dot & Dab ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the pic below does it look like I have a dreaded dot and dab wall ? The wall is a shared external with the semi next door.

35bxq15.jpg

I'm trying to hook my plasma up onto the wall (35kg) and I'm thinking that due to the nature of the wall I'm going to need something like this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16880...or-BZP-10-x-50mm-M8-Max-Fixture-12-Pack-of-10

or this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28415...ti-Hex-Head-10-x-70mm-Drill-Size-8-Pack-of-50

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You do have the dreaded dot and dab,,, as cheap and nasty as ever, and it proves my point on just how scabby this type of wall finish is,,, especially when it goes wrong, which could be at any time as proved above, fixing a plasma tv to the wall. When you think that ceilings now have to have 12.5 mm plasterboard fixed to them, yet with walls, some builders/developers, are allowed to get away with this terrible method of lining/camflaougeing them. Imagine trying to fix radiators, cupboards, adding new sockets/cables, etc etc, the list is endless. Imagine buying a brand new house £150.000, £250.000 plus, and find out your walls are finished this way. :eek:,,, dot and dab should be banned. :mad: Rant over.

At 35 kg, (70lb), your plasma TV is a very heavy object to fix on a wall, and would certainly need to fixed into the actual stone, brick/blockwork, by strong adequate fixings like you suggest. A bracket, securely fixed onto wood will also carry a fair weight. Fixings for plasterboard are a waste of time, and are only really suitable for lighter objects.

Dot and dab is great. Rads etc are easily fixed - drill holes, squirt some nonails in , push the rawlplugs in and leave overnight.

RC - you're just playing with the op here. ;)

Sponsored Links
yes you can fix to a dabed wall as long as the fixings hit the substrate,roughcaster how come kitchen units stay on a barratt home ,if you were correct there would be units on the floor in 6 million homes but there not so your not ,i can understand your point of veiw if you live in a time warp ,but d&d is a way of life so deal with it cause it aint gonna change cause you dont like it.

it is a way of life, becuase life these days is about the money, cutting corners, compromising to make more profit, that's why dot n dab is here in abundance and here to stay, it does have it's advantages but is and always will be inferior to proper float and set work.

Ya know,, whatever floats your boat Ext'y, dot and dab might be alright for the masses, but i bet the big bosses of your example, "Barratts", and bosses of other large construction companies etc, don't live in dot and dabbed houses. Maybe the kitchen units aren't falling of the walls (yet), but read the list of complaints Barratt customers have posted. I'm sure there are many more owners of, shall we say,, " speedily built modern houses", that would also have a tale to tell. ;)

http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/vt.php?t=110

Leaving aside the pros and cons of dot and dab for a moment(i wouldn't have it in my house),

I don't think there is much of a cost difference(supply and fix) on your big sites between dot n dab n skim and float n set.

It is a bit cheaper to joint the boards rather than skim.

I think dot n dab is often used because -
quicker drying time than f&s,
fewer people able to float now
you can surface mount plumbing and electrics
better thermal?

As we all know quality is not an issue with your Barrats, Insoace etc They will work to the minimum they can sell.
. Price and program are, though.

im not comparing anything quality wise,im sure every spread would go with float coats in there own house,but its speed and drying/decoration times that win the day,pluss the fact you need a much less skilled/cheaper workforce and the op can still hang his telly up! :)

im not comparing anything quality wise,im sure every spread would go with float coats in there own house,but its speed and drying/decoration times that win the day,pluss the fact you need a much less skilled/cheaper workforce and the op can still hang his telly up! :)

I know what you mean Exte'l. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back