plasteboard damp behind shower tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
decided to re seal around shower tray, ended up stripping all tiles and removing whole enclosure!! so my skimmed moisture board has been getting a bit of a soaking due to poor grouting/sealing.....i have left it to dry out for 24 hours and and very few areas feel compromised, i plan to leave it for a few more days, however, there are a few areas( bottom of enclosure brackets and local to bottom tile/tray) that are softish and can be scraped away with a blunt knife, these areas are at most 50mm x 25mm, just want to know the best way forward/necessity for repair of such small areas, the door enclosure was fitted direct to the wall,not onto tiles, shocking job, and the grouting was also poor as it is plain to see where water has penetrated, cheers, i will try to upload an image after

Sponsored Links
Ihave managed to put photos into my album, but cant see how to include them in a post ?

Your surround was leaking in the usual places - at the jamb stiles, up from the s/base rim, and at the inside corner.

The enclosure must be installed on the tile - perfectly plumb tile.

What about the condition of any studding behind the p/b or the state of the floor (if its wood)? Examineany ceiling below.

If i were doing that job i would remove all the p/b and replace with backer board or sand & cement render (on any masonry walls).

You will have to adjust the enclosure rails when re-installing it. But first strip it completely and clean all the s/base rim surfaces.

There's a possibility that the damp has spread to the walls on either side of the enclosure jambs.
Cutting out sections of damaged p/b will possibly have you back to square one in a couple of years.

Cheers Ree, there is minimal stain on ceiling below, I imagine plasterboard/finish surrounding the sides of the tray are compromised, but I guess im gonna have to investigate further, it means removing the tray presumably :(

Sponsored Links
if the plasterboard is still ok you could tank it - basically the grout is never going to waterproof it - even on a perfect job

With minimal staining then there's no need to remove the tray.FWIW: its often the case that now-a-days, access hatches/doors are cut in ceilings and walls for shower wastes and valve access. Just saying, no need in your case.

However, you must not attempt to tank damp or degraded plaster board - it will fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back