Plaster been pva,d

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone ,my name is Alan and I’ve just joined DIYnot today, and I’ve just taken on a family members decorating job, she has had the whole of her three bed house replastered and was advised to coat with pva , and now needs painting , I’ve seen various q&a on this subject, and I think that it’s going to be a problem if so washing of may be only answer, but was wondering if vinyl silk would adhere to the pva, as opposed to emulsion , be grateful for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oh dear.

My advice is to lining paper the walls then paint.

You'll have a job getting the paint onto the walls reacting with the PVA. Even with washing

You may well be lucky, or could coat the walls with zinsser gardz then paint (looking at the data sheet looks like it says you can paint over gardz)

It frustrates me these "professionals" who know bugger all giving out incorrect advice. It creates hard work for the next guy/girl.

if the plaster is new and smooth, spray it with water. The glue will turn to sludge and you can scrape it off with a broad metal scraper, and wipe it off on your sleeve, or a rag or kitchen roll.

you will probably have to do it twice, and finish off with a coarse old towel.

Never put PVA on a surface you might one day hope to paint.

Sponsored Links
We had trouble getting paint to stay on an old plastered wall - it was flaking like crazy. So we used a pva / water mix (I think, could have been neat) and then painted, and it was OK ... Well, not a perfect finish, but it stuck. But maybe it's OK with old plaster ... not with new?

Good morning everyone thanks for replying so quick with advice . I’m told that it was the plasterer who told my her to pva the new plaster.Also she has now said that the pva was watered down 50/50, so hope this will make a difference because as advised I made wall wet but there wasnt any slime as suggested so I may be lucky ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
We had trouble getting paint to stay on an old plastered wall - it was flaking like crazy. So we used a pva / water mix (I think, could have been neat) and then painted, and it was OK ... Well, not a perfect finish, but it stuck. But maybe it's OK with old plaster ... not with new?
we had an old property with white wash on old horsehair type plaster - I was advised to 6:1 pva then paint - worked perfectly, prior to that paint would just flake off. I don't believe you should pva new plaster though.

Thanks for advice going to light sand paper walls then mist coat in main bedroom and see how it goes will keep you all informed how I get on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back