Plaster Board in front of brick fireplace. TV hanging ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am a DIY novice and wondered what fixtures to use above my fireplace for attaching a TV?
The wall is plasterboard (around 3 cm or so thick) behind which there is a tiny gap and then brick. Sounds hollow when tapping but the brick was there when I investigated a hole the previous owner had made.

Would you recommend just going into the plasterboard or through to brick?

Anything to watch out for. Will scan with a wall detector however I know they have their limitations.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TV is 18 Kg 65 inch.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Gerald. Too high, unless you have a small fireplace.
Do you plan to use the fireplace? I wouldn't want an expensive TV below all that heat and smoke.

Sponsored Links
Just a little gas fire. Don't really use it to be fair as it's not economical.

Well, in my previous house I removed the fireplace to make way for a better home cinema!

I'd put the TV on a table or unit to one side of the chimney breast, if there is room. At eye level when you're sat down watching it

yep, I have a wall bracket, but currently have tv on stand. I only used the wall bracket in last house so the stand was clear for my turntable. When the tv was on thewall, it was only about 15 cm off the top of the stand, so pretty close to normal eye level.

yes..i got something similar for my year 2000 bovis home for heavy shelving loads
...and the little screw in thingy's in aluminium for lightweight fixings...pictures etc

my neighbours used to put a nail in where they wanted the picture to do..then take the nail out and put superglue in the hole with the nail and hang the picture the next day

the actual fittings i got had to go through the dry lining, the thermalite and into the outer brick..for that particular wall design the inner block being only good for unloaded wall

51KTaeh0UpL._AC_US218_.jpg

a bit like corefix

they were fiddly getting the first sleeve into the brick and then the plug into that then the screw into that..
but the fixing was good

for my next house which seemed to be drylining/insulating block/insulation/blockwork/render...which made the wall 350mm thick!!

i fixed battens to the wall using the screw in metal thingys..at 200 crs then fixed my tv tilt and turn steel frame to those
it stayed up ok
cheers
geof

Last edited:
If its not obvious already definitely go through to the brick.

Unpopular opinion but I much prefer to see TVs wall mounted even if they are a little high, always end up losing valuable space having them in a corner or on a stand/table and they look pants imho.

Only my two pence, but I'd definitely recommend having it to the right of the chimney breast in the alcove (if it will fit).

At the request of the good lady, I put our's up on the chimney breast and I found that this big, black oblong became the centre-point of attention when entering the room. I shifted it to an alcove on a movable bracket and now we have a mantle, mirror and log burner which is much more visually-pleasing as a focus point. Only my opinion but I went through the same thought process as this.

Only my two pence, but I'd definitely recommend having it to the right of the chimney breast in the alcove (if it will fit).

At the request of the good lady, I put our's up on the chimney breast and I found that this big, black oblong became the centre-point of attention when entering the room. I shifted it to an alcove on a movable bracket and now we have a mantle, mirror and log burner which is much more visually-pleasing as a focus point. Only my opinion but I went through the same thought process as this.

yes..we put ours on a tilt and swing bracket and set it low down just below eye height when sitting on the sofa...its in the corner of the room and the dvd and cd player sits nicely under it...
cheers
geof

Thanks all - I went throught the brick using the Dry Line Pro - so far it appears to have worked well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back