Blocking up un-used fireplace for TV bracket mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I found a good guide on how to block-up and un-used fire place here http://www.practicaldiy.com/general-building/chimney/chimney-blocking-up.php to start with.
However my job has one more complication being I need to install a TV bracket and a heavy shelf on the newly constructed fire place wall by using 6 x 8mm 50 mm long screws and plugs.
I am concern that just using normal bricks as per link above, the wall would not take the load. Because of the shelf arrangement the load is not only vertical, there will be a lateral torque force as well.

What brick should I use for the purpose / how to fit bricks and mortar to make the fireplace opening wall (about 70x70 cm) strong and load bearing?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It maybe better to use timber studs and board - a small span of masonry will more than likely be pulled out of the reveal unless you tie into either side.

Thanks newboy; I would try to avoid timber studs because they may flex underweight and cracks appear at the joints with the chimney render plaster.
I have just found I should use "frame cramps".. I quote "For an average fireplace you will also need 2 “frame cramps” which are normally fixed to a door or window frame and built into the brickwork joints. These 2 however, will be plugged and screwed to the inside of the fireplace and be built into brickwork you are building" see also http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fireplace2.htm .. would this work? Not familiar with frame cramps at all!

Decent timber studs won't flex under load. If you're using bricks to block the opening, you'll have a small panel of masonry comprising six courses each of three bricks (3 stretchers, 2 stretchers & 2 snapped headers in alternating courses with no significant vertical load). Even with a couple of ties to the existing reveal, if you load the panel with what sounds like a swivel TV bracket then I suspect you will simply pull the panel or individual bricks out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
OP,
Bricking up a fire opening doesn't need frame cramps - whoever suggested such overkill is talking rubbish: what next, erect a scaffold?
You dont need an air brick either - simply leave out a brick, & after skimming set a 9" x 3" hit & miss vent over the gap.

Approximately how high do you want to fix the TV & shelf - they are typically set above the fire opening lintel approx. 45" to 60" above the floor?
In my limited experience, I have never bolted either to the bricks of a blocked up fire opening.

Most all the modern screens that we've fixed have used a custom frame bracket - fixed, floating or cantilever - & they are simply plugged and screwed to the face of the chimney breast.

OP,
Ignore ... using framed openings, and "pulling the panel or individual bricks out"...

Note: you will have to pre-isolate any old gas or water in the c/breast area, & provide concealed comms & elec cables in your prep work.

==========
foolish squabbling removed
Mod
==========

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back