Plaster board problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, and thanks in advance.

I have just noticed that there are a couple of problems with the existing plasterboard on the ceiling of the garage I am in the process of converting.

The existing plasterboard is the wrong way round for plastering (the ivory side is facing upwards). Is this going to cause me a problem, or can I ignore it and get it plastered anyway?

The second issue is that against the back wall the nails used stop about 20cm from the wall on some of the boards. The roof space above is quite low at the highest point, and very low above this area, so I can't really see whats happening with the joists, and don't have access to the area above to do any work. The boards can be pushed upwards though with the flexibility of the plasterboard.

As far as I can see I have a number of options:

1) Leave it- will the skim coat cope with it?

2) Try secure the existing plasterboard from below. The wall is battened with 3*2, so I have 5cm that will be hidden if there are any brackets or similar that I could use.

3) Fit new plasterboard above the old, with the double thickness reducing the flexibility enough for the plaster to be ok. Would I screw into joists in the normal way, or could I glue it? How would I align the new boards to the old?

4) Rip out the old plasterboard and replace- I could add some kind of joist above the area from below to secure the plasterboard.

I don't want to do work that is unecessary, but at the same time I want to do the job right.

Thanks for you help- I should point out that I didn't put this plasterboard in, it was already in the garage!

Sponsored Links
screw up if you can, then board over with half inch plasterboard with screws. bang a few holes to find the joists then stagger the boards over the original boards then skim. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back