Boardng onto boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance.

I asked a while ago abt some plasterboarding on my garage ceiling that I am converting. It was the wrong way round, and against 1 wall there is no joist above to screw into, there is some flebility.

I was advised to reboard, which I plan to do.

My plan is to simply board on top of the existing boards, staggering the joints, but this will not really solve the joist problem, as the new boards will also be flexible. So I think as well as screwing the plasterboard in place, I will also glue it- efectively giving me a 22mm thick piece of plasterboard, which should be rigid over the last 10cm from joist to wall.

The question is which glue would be best?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you are converting your garage into a habital area. like a kitchen then it may be wise to drop the lot and re-batten to stop the flexibility and also you would be better to reinstate with "Fire-Check" boards. If you are just going to board over the lot, like you say, then it would be better to board it with fire-check anyway.....Or where the boards are "flexing" on the edge cut out to the nearest joist and noggin it out so the board on top will get a good fixing. No use sticking new boards to old boards that are not secure....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back