Plaster + corner of window recess + crumbling = ?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Were just decorating our spare room and have had the walls skimmed and painted. However when we've come to putting up a blind and have had to drill into the corners the plaster has simply crumbled. There was signs of damp around here before we decorated but everything now looks dry but has anyone a solution as to how we fix the blind?

Could it be screwed into the UPVC frame (I'm guessing this wont be strong enough) or would fitting a batten of wood be more effective if not quite as pretty?? Any better solutions would be great!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...

Sponsored Links
Andy,

Try the building or woodwork forum they will be far better qualified to offer you the advice you need.

Or plasterers even.

Dec

How wide is the window, if its not big you can fix to the upvc just make sure you get the right screws. If the plaster cracked because it was hollow behind then fill the hole with a wet mixed filler and it should be fine to have another go at drilling it..

The plaster cracking and crumbling could be because the wall behind may feel dry, but still retains some moisture and is flaking or powdery and not letting the plaster adhere to it. I had the same problem and some stabilising solution fixed the issue.

I'm not saying its the right answer for you, but worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
Chop it out a bit. Fill with filler. Sand it smooth with a block. Drill in with longer screws. Fastening to the plastic looks pretty naff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back