Plaster repair around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I’m in the process of decorating Victorian terrace. The quality of the plaster in most rooms seems strong, but rough. We have decided to go the lining paper rout and leave the existing plaster in tact rather than strip it back.

There is a problem area around a couple of the windows, as you can see in the photos.

Ground level.jpg
Wall.jpg

Believe it or not the darker plaster work was done years ago and just left by the previous owner, without being sanded, painted or even covered in paper o_O. If it was done at the same time as the double glazing was put in, then that was 2004.

The problem is there is a patch in a couple of areas where the plaster has blown, and just crumbles when poked (highlighted in red). This was likely caused by the broken guttering causing water to pour down the external wall. I have now fixed this the guttering so just need to sort the dodgy plaster before papering.

I’m hoping this is going to be a patch repair job, possibly something I can do myself? I’m thinking I can just chisel out the effected areas, probably to the brick, and than plaster over and get it as smooth as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
the brown is modern gypsum plaster. Your house was probably originally done in white-ish lime plaster which is strong and quite thick. If the gypsum has got wet and crumbly, hack it all off. You may find the lime has fared better.

OK, then just fill it in with plaster I guess, after a coat of PVA? Any recommendations on the best stuff to get for this task?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back