Is this distemper paint, plaster, glue or other?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Happy New Year.

Some advise please.... I've started removing textured wallpaper in my hallway and curious about what is underneath.

The paper largely peeled off easily without tools or a steamer. The paper had been painted a number of times and was quite thick, I'm not sure there was a paper liner, if there was then it came off as one with the wallpaper. I don't know when the hall was decorated, it was before my time but I suspect 20-25 years ago based on other renovations done.

In the first picture there is a large patch of plaster on the right hand side which I believe is newer, but where it ends it seems to blend into a light yellow rough paint or plaster. This yellow thin layer has (except for one area in the middle, closer to the newer plaster) largely remained in place but some has flaked and peeled away. In particular it has stayed on the door wall (there are still a few patched of paper to remove).

Can someone advise what this is? My hope is that I can cut away any loose edges and use a filler (such as Polycell Plaster repair) to level out, before using Erfurt Red 1400 Lining paper on the walls (which will most likely be then painted but still TBD).

Any advise appreciated, thank you.

20220102_165902.jpg
20220102_165952.jpg
20220102_170032.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back