Small plaster repairs in Victorian tenement...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just finished dismantling a built in cupboard in the boxroom. It's come out quite cleanly but with some plaster damage in areas (up to approx 15cm holes). The plaster is a solid surface coat with a kind of soft powdery grey substrate underneath with a texture somewhere between talc and sand - this goes back to the brick. I'd like to patch the plaster but the surface is pretty unstable, so a couple of questions...

Is this an old plaster method and if so what is it known as (apart from crap and annoying)?

Can I just stabilise it using some PVA mix and plaster onto it to patch it up and if not what should I do?

Cheers,

Buckie.

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've got it sussed.

don't be afraid to put a few coats of pva on the patches, but thin it down for the first couple and have it about 3:1 on the last.

Thanks for the reassurance, I've started this morning and "flippin' heck" it's amazing what a little bit of PVA can do :eek: After just one coat it's miles more stable and more akin to stone than the sand it was before. I'll pop another couple of coats on it today and leave it till tomorrow and fill it in.

Cheers again,

buckie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back