Repairing damaged walls and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a few problem areas I'm the utility room, and I have seen various methods of patching up, but these (to me) are quite awkward and I'm just looking for a few pointers. It's worth noting I'll only be plastering one wall with the window/door on, and whilst I'll be aiming to achieve the best finish I can with my own plastering, a perfect finish is not essential in here, and more than anything it's just some DIY and plastering practice for myself.

Firstly, I have this loose part of plaster in the window arch. It's not all loose, only a chunk near the already present missing piece of plaster. My intention was to remove the loose plaster to a put it is solid, clean and pva the surface, and fill in to a rough finish, and then put some beading on for a skim. I'm just wondering at this stage does that sound workable?

Second, pipework and a terrible little hole in the wall. My problem here is loose piping (audible clunk when washing machine is on), which I want to fix onto the drywall/plaster ceiling, before boxing over it with some, er boxy type stuff. Also, the hole which has cunningly been filled in with a nice paint roller to support the pipes/plug a hole. Here, I was thinking fill in the large gap with foam filler to support the pipes some more, and patch it up with a bit of plaster?

Lastly, a couple of holes in the ceiling. In all honesty, I'm considering just taking the boxing across and simply covering the holes with the same materials I use to cover the pipes. Having just wrote that, I've alerted myself to the weight of boxing on the ceiling materials, with wood being too heavy potentially?

Anyway, all input is appreciated, and any top tips would be fantastic. Thanks guys

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG

(Loose piece)

DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

Sponsored Links
you say the rest of the plaster is sound, but to me it looks like there is more that has come away. Break out any more loose stuff, PVA and fill with bonding , then skim over.
The hole where the pipes go through I would fill with expanding foam and skim over.
As you suggest I would box the pipes right back to the wall, it will look better anyway.
I would be inclined to batten the ceiling out and around the pipes and box with plasterboard and skim over.
If you have enough height in the widow frame in the first picture I would be inclined to carry the boxing around the pipe work into the window reveal too and also up the wall above the window, beading all corners as usual before skimming

you say the rest of the plaster is sound, but to me it looks like there is more that has come away. Break out any more loose stuff, PVA and fill with bonding , then skim over.
The hole where the pipes go through I would fill with expanding foam and skim over.
As you suggest I would box the pipes right back to the wall, it will look better anyway.
I would be inclined to batten the ceiling out and around the pipes and box with plasterboard and skim over.
If you have enough height in the widow frame in the first picture I would be inclined to carry the boxing around the pipe work into the window reveal too and also up the wall above the window, beading all corners as usual before skimming

I like that idea got a load of plasterboard sitting around. Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back