Peeling plaster kitchen window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the plaster and decor around the kitchen window in a second floor apartment. It's double skin block and about 25 years old. It's not especially damp but then we have had a lot of dry weather recently.

Photos show just after I have peeled off all the worst of the plaster. Before this there was plaster peeling around the window sill with salt deposits and some black mould.
Most of the plaster came off in large pieces. I'm keen to get to the source of the the problem.
There is loose plaster around the top of the window frame. Perhaps the window frame is poorly sealed and needs re-installing or something else?

Attachments

• P_20200715_171338.jpg
    P_20200715_171338.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 155
  • P_20200715_170144.jpg
    P_20200715_170144.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
So it looks like the dampness is coming in from above and probably around the cill at the base of the french doors above.

It also looks like there is no cavity tray above your window. This stops water running down between the walls and on to your window lintel above your window.

If you had a cavity tray it water in the wall would be diverted out of the wall via weep holes.

you’ll need to seal around the upstairs doors with a mastic. Try that first.

If you’re a leaseholder then you should contact the maintenance management company to fix.

worst case you may have to get a cavity tray fitted in the wall.

you might be able to claim with your buildings insurance for the damage inside. Give them a call.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back