Plaster cracking / blown near ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been lurking and reading a lot from here whilst renovating my house and finally got myself stumped.

Background: bought this house recently, it was completed 1981 and hasn't had a lot of maintenance for the past five years or so. We (or tradesmen) have skimmed all the ceilings, painted all the walls, replaced all the carpets, replaced bathroom and kitchen. I'm now a lot poorer :D

Recently, I've noticed that the old plaster on the top floor has started cracking or blowing at both sides of the house - sides, not front and back - along the entire length of the wall (through multiple rooms). See crack - 1.jpg. A dampmeter informs me that it is damp to varying degrees of wetness. The ceiling itself appears dry. Walls are brick with cavity insulation.

The loft has a condensation problem, but, that looks to be confined to the middle of the loft. The ventilation seems good enough (you can feel the breeze) and I've put felt lap vents the entire length of both sides of the loft (as low down as I could get). I think the issue with the condensation is that the insulation up there has been laid badly and squashed down. Although, a thermometer tells me that the loft is relatively close to the temperature outside. I don't -think- this is causing the plaster to blow. I have spotted some drip marks on the walls (see crack - 2.jpg) at the front of the house in one room and I think that is due to the condensation and some deterioration of the roof felt at the bottom (and a lack of eaves carriers).

My current plan is to get up the loft and take some damp readings of the brick work on each side of the house up there to see if there's anything registering damp at these ends. If so, then I think we're looking at a roof/fascia problem. If not, then I'm stumped.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any tips/advice here would be good.

Attachments

• crack - 2.jpg
    crack - 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 304
  • crack - 1.jpg
    crack - 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 298
Sponsored Links
You could press that damp meter on your forehead and it will go off the scale, but does that mean you have a problem?

The crack appears to be common thermal cracking, nothing else.

Really? Along the entire house on both sides? With blown plaster too?

That'd be great if so.

For what it's worth... It goes yellow on my skin and red on the wall.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back