Plaster dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah so i am quite impulsive and i decided to tear down the wallpaper in my bedroom that has been there for 20+ years

its that anaglypta stuff and it has been painted over countless times so i just felt as though it was time for a change

as i was stripping the wallpaper bits of the plaster were coming off with it so without thinking i started to knock the plaster off of the wall

i did take quite a bit off (pic here: http://i.imgur.com/Q2dQWln.jpg) and as i was doing so some of the bricks started to come loose too :eek:

so now im just wandering was it really necessary to remove the plaster (with the intention of getting the walls re plastered) or should i have just took the paper off and got the wall skimmed (i didn't even know what this meant until a few minutes ago when i did a google search)

i do think the plaster does need to be completely replaced because it came off so easily. in huge chunks too. but i dont really know what im taking about so i need some advice

should i just get the hole i created filled in then get the rest of the room skimmed? or knock the plaster down and get it completely re plastered? how much would it cost for each of these?

oh and dont even get me started on the brick work like hello i know this house is over 100 years old but was it built by a blind man? its really awful. at one point i actually considering taking a sledgehammer to the wall and getting a new wall built coz it looks as though even the bricks are falling apart not just the plaster :eek:

help me y'all

some more pics here:

http://i.imgur.com/WFmvY3Z.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VviPPd7.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to be very careful when removing old plaster, especially with old brickwork underneath. Start hitting it too hard, with too big a hammer/chisel, and you'll get problms. First thind to do, remove the radiator, then VERY CAREFULY chip away the plaster. Angle the chisel/bolster away from the brickwork, and into the plaster. Once you've stripped all the plaster, give the wall a good clean off, get the very bad joints in the brickwork re-pointed, and re-bed/replace loose or missing brickwork. In the photo, Is the dark patch in the brickwork damp? Either way, if it was me, i'd get all the brickwork/wall prepped, then i'd scratch coat it with a 4 to 1 sand/cement mix with a waterproofer/plasticiser added then top coat render @ 5 to 1 mix, then skim coat the finished render with multi finish. Don't use gypsum undercoat plaster straight onto that old brickwork, or i can see problems ahead. Have a chat with a "reputable" local plasterer for an on site chat in your house. Cement rendering the problem wall/walls rather than Gypsum plaster would be my advice anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back