Plaster not hardening up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently waiting for the plaster in a newly channelled and rewired house to be dry enough to sand down and even out. We have no central heating and it's a bit wet and rainy in the area, so the plaster is still just too soft to work on even a couple of days later (despite advice on bags and pots that it is ready to sand and work on within 4 hours).

Any advice other than leaving it longer? A friend has offered us a humidifier or an electric heater - will this speed the process up or is it best just to leave it to itself? I wouldn't be too fussed but we can't move in until it's done, and I only have a few days left of holiday to get the bulk of the work done.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... trawling through your wiki, it looks like intructions on bags simply can't be trusted. A week it is!

Now to work out what I could be doing in the meantime...

What kind of plaster/brand are we talking about here though, some DIY rubbish stuff i bet. Tell us the name of the product you used and we'll give some answers.

Sponsored Links
Was this the pre-mixed stuff in a tub?

I used the homebase equivalent of this once, it too 36 hours to actually harden in a 3mm single coat.

Arrrgghhhhhhhhh,,,, quick,,, pass me the bucket.
Sorry Moobug,, This stuff is probably ok for minor nicks and blemishes, but will be of no use at all for anything deep. This type of product "dries in air" rather than "sets", (goes solid) and will never really be any good for your job. If i were you, i'd rake it all out, buy a bag of Bonding or Hardwall undercoat plaster, depending on how much you need, give the chase/chases a wet down, bring them out so far with plaster, let it pick up a bit to save it slumping, then bring it out more or less flush, leaving a mm or so for the finishing. If you know a plasterer, ask him if you can buy the stuff from him for all you'll need. I've given away small amounts of plaster many times to people that i know, to save them buying whole bags when they only need a little drop of this or that.

used to be a building suppilers i used to us,who would sell various stuff by the gallon.
rather then throw away split bags they used to put them in air tight containers,so like above if you only needed a bit you didnt need to buy a whole bag.worth asking if your local does the same??

Flippin `Eck gregers - that must`ve been some time ago :eek: Wasn`t Tyhurst in Uckfield was it - it`s all corporate Jew sons etc. now and Build/Plumb/Brain surgery Center :rolleyes: . More clowns in these places than Billy Smarts :evil:

Thanks for the advice, guys! The stuff I did a week ago has turned out all right so we're going to leave it another week and see the lay of the land. If it hasn't solidified we'll rake out and start again.

I'm starting to wish we could afford for someone to do it for us! Then again, all good experience, right?

Flippin `Eck gregers - that must`ve been some time ago :eek: Wasn`t Tyhurst in Uckfield was it - it`s all corporate Jew sons etc. now and Build/Plumb/Brain surgery Center :rolleyes: . More clowns in these places than Billy Smarts :evil:

:cry: where has the time gone :rolleyes:

no nige it was chandlers in lewes, ;) iirc they also done it in halland.
also think mp harris used to do it aswell,now thats really going back a tad :LOL:

MP Harris :eek: @ Horsebridge ? Did you know Bill in the office there - Nice Guy , Long gone ( passed away ) sadly. Chandlers are still one of the best - on the Broyle ( nr. Halland ) Loved the Broyle in my Boy Racer Days - Caught by the Old Bill doing 90 , slowed a tad for the bend by the pub . Not bad for a 350cc Moto Morini c. 1976 :mrgreen:

MP Harris :eek: @ Horsebridge ? Did you know Bill in the office there - Nice Guy , Long gone ( passed away ) sadly. Chandlers are still one of the best - on the Broyle ( nr. Halland ) Loved the Broyle in my Boy Racer Days - Caught by the Old Bill doing 90 , slowed a tad for the bend by the pub . Not bad for a 350cc Moto Morini c. 1976 :mrgreen:

we used to have 1 in eastbourne m8,
oh the broyle lol.mmm er couldnt possibly comment on the speed in a car,only it was BLOODY FAST.mind you iirc i got over taken by a few bikes,MAYBE twas you???? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back