Terrible plaster finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having some plastering done and not too confident in the guys ability to provide a decent finish.
The large areas are fine, but there are a lot of rough edges and corners.
He's told me that after he's gone I can use filler on the rough bits and then sand it down, and sand down where he's gone over the 'edge' of one wall onto another.
I hadn't planned on paying someone to plaster the walls, and then spend a good couple of days after making good ready for painting.
Is this a normal thing?
It's not just corners, it's also around sockets and he's left a lot of patches on the ceiling.
Some of it just wipes off now it's dried, but there's a lot that need sanding down.
Hoping some pros can add their comments.

Sponsored Links
As Steve said get some pics up if possible
If he hasn't finished I would hold payment until either he sorts it or use the cash to get someone who cares about the quality of their work

I was always taught/told work as if it was your own property and take care in your work

It's the small details that set the good from the bad corners should be straight, clean and sharp

You can throw all the area on you want but if you don't take the time to finish around sockets, corners and edges and clean up after it makes for shoddy work

I've added an album to my profile! Hopefully the images will show up on this reply- I haven't paid him yet, but not sure what the etiquette is when refusing to pay up!
He does know I'm not happy

Sponsored Links
I will have a look at your album when I get a min (it hasn't showed on your post)

If he knows your not happy you are well within your right to hold payment until you reach a satisfactory conclusion and you are happy

If he won't sort it then don't pay and explain that you shouldn't have to be doing snagging for his shoddy work etc
As mentioned by Steve you shouldn't have to be sanding newly plastered walls NO WAY!!!

You have done right to take pictures for reference

If you signed a contract you have pictures and evidence to prove poor workmanship

I wouldn't worry about what the guy says/thinks if you have valid grounds not to pay as mentioned then don't unless your are happy with the job

How much is he charging you for that?

You dont leave a job like that and expect to get paid!

Greenbean I have looked at the pictures

The word that springs to mind is cowboy! You've got a proper Del Boy there

Personally I would tell him not to come back and I certainly wouldn't give him a penny out of your wallet!!!

That first picture and the last is absolutely disgraceful

I don't like talking about other spreads work because I don't think it's fair especially between the good guys but they guy you've got isn't a plasterer it looks like he did a weeks course and left after day 2!!

I'm sure Steve and caster will drop in again at some point with their views and I'm sure we are all agree its poor and that's being kind!

I'd bet my bottom dollar his work areas a tip as well

When you tell him where to go I'd also say if he has a problem that you'd be more than willing to refer the work in question to trading standards he'll run faster than mr bolt

My recommendations
Tell him to scarper
Get a proper pro in (you'll be happy you did) and I bet it's not been done on the cheap either

Also if you can post your location it might help to get a reputable guy in

Thank you for all the replies.
He has offered to get a lad in to do some sanding but I don't think that's going to do much good.
And yes, the work area is a tip, he didn't cover the doors, and he had to hire a ladder. Very glad I haven't paid him yet

Offered to get someone in to sand it :eek:

Tell him to hire a plasterer!!

No consideration for other peoples property. Honestly it makes me vent unfortunately it seems to be getting more and more common these cowboys coming and giving the rest of us a bad name!

Very shoddy looking work overall. Just tell him you're not happy at all with the quality of his work, that you've been advised not to pay, and it'll cost you money to get it sorted out. Sanding plaster is not a good idea either as the other guys have said.
Ask around next time, word of mouth, always go for a recommended tradesman.

its a bad job for sure, im interested to know how you got to hire them were they recommended or did you find them in the paper or on internet ect? also it would be interesting to know how much they charged you

its a bad job for sure, im interested to know how you got to hire them were they recommended or did you find them in the paper or on internet ect? also it would be interesting to know how much they charged you

It would be interesting I agree Steve because I bet it's not cheap

Surely with the state of that work it can't be reccomendation either but you never know

Where are you located greenbean?

bejesus thats S**T.

i aint a spread by any means,but i couldve done a better job.

I'm in kent, and he was a recommendation from a chippy.
I told him today not to finish the job and he was peed off. He told me that he did a poor job because he worked from the bottom up! (It's a hallway)
He also told me that not many of the rough bits were in my eyeline so they wouldn't be in my face.
How do I stand with not paying him? He did do some boarding up which is ok, and he paid for materials so how should I work out what's owing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back