preparing for plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have rewired my new house and will be chasing in the cables and the heating pipes, need advice on how to prep the walls ready for a skim of plaster, how do i need to protect the pipes from the plaster to stop cracking,

i was going to cover my chases and with bonding plaster my self, sand the walls back, and pva them how much pvaing do i need to do as the old plaster is really dry, should i also scratch the walls.

any advice is greatly appreciated as i am a first time buyer and trying to do what work i can as i have time off from work.

dave

Sponsored Links
Dave,

Once you have chased out all the pipes and cabling, put capping over the pipes (same as you would use for the cables) Give the chase a good coat of PVA 50/50 mix and then use bonding as you said.

So far as prep work is concerned, make sure you have removed all the little bits of wallpaper then again give it a good coat of pva. Leave it to dry then that should be fine for when your plasterer comes in.

He will then give it another lashing of pva, leave it to go tacky whilest he has a quick coffee and knocks up his gear. Then bobs your uncle, he will do the old harry enfield "Bish Bosh" and leave you with a lovely newly plastered room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back