Plaster or install double glazing first? (Video and pics)

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick one here. Having the double glazing changed on the front of the house and there was a load of wooden cladding nailed to the wall to cover up (is my only guess) some bad plasterwork. Was done very VERY poorly (even nailed straight over the skirting boards!). I've removed it all but the walls are a bit of a state.

My first question is - should I have the walls replastered first then the new double glazing put in or the other way around?

My second question is: what will I need to tell a plasterer what needs doing? I am not knowledgeable enough (with my plastering vocabulary) to be able to describe what needs doing! Is it 'new drywall and skim' etc? I think I'll need the skirting and coving done at the same time.

Video here:
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/file15871.mp4/

Pics below (but please watch video, is way better at showing what a mess it is):
imagedli.jpg

imageglu.jpg

imageqai.jpg

(PS I know I've asked this before but I didn't know the wall was so bad - just checking)

Sponsored Links
Tell plasterer you need a window surround made good , currently lathe and plaster, he will replace with plasterboard.Don't worry how to explain as he will need to look to give you a price.

Sponsored Links
Perfect! Thanks crank39 and foxhole, just what I needed to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back