Plaster over Artex and Vinyl silk emulsion ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to remove artex - what a nightmare !
Is it OK to plaster over artex and or vinyl silk emulsion on the ceiling and does anyone know how successful this is - or unsuccessful ?

Will it make any difference if I pre-paint with unibond 1/1.

Thank's.

Sponsored Links
I stripped off all my Artex using a steamer it takes a while but is quiet successful & doesn’t damage the ceiling too much. I then did some local repairs, re-taped the cracked joints & skimmed over. I did have one room that was very bad so I just put some new boards over the old ones, tapped & re-skimmed it - I just couldn’t face ripping the whole lot down & you cant see the difference!

Re plastering over Artex I’ve seen this done a few times without any problems but I suppose it will depend on the paint covering! Knock all the rough edges or pips off the Artex with a trowel (depending on the pattern) give it a sealing coat of PVA & let it dry. Apply a 3:1 coat of PVA & skim coat straight onto this.

dead right Richard ;) that`s how my boy does it and we`re gradually loosing our textured ceilings one by one..he lets the final coat of pva go a bit tacky then spreads with multi-finish.

Nige F said:
dead right Richard ;) that`s how my boy does it and we`re gradually loosing our textured ceilings one by one..he lets the final coat of pva go a bit tacky then spreads with multi-finish.

Thanks Nige & Richard, appreciated, have I read this Nige, that your guy skims over the artex and if so are any of the ceilings emulsioned with vinyl silk ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the pva goes over everything bar grease :eek: .......any probs. arise from pimples on artex being a bit too long ........so we knock them off first.........

So Nige F, how about employing a plastic float, or is that just ridiculous?

Uses a wooden one for rendering/screeding ..I`ll ask him when he next comes round to borrow something ;) .appears to do 2 thin coats of multi-finish then trowels up wetting with a brush all done with a metal trowel ........nice worn in one from his Father in Law (who taught him) saved me the bother of teaching him plumbing :LOL: Did say something about different ways of trowelling .......and knowing him as I do he probably has worked out the easiest way..........so additional work with placcy float may be unnecessary .......That`s ma boy :LOL:

Thank's Nige, sound advice and really appreciated, re; the PVA also the tips with the muti - coat and floats, I'll get a job as a pro- plasterer at this rate.
Invaluable info'.

Don't want to alarm you, but how old is your textured ceiling? When I bought my house last year the surveyor pointed out that textured ceilings could contain asbestos and should be treated with care i.e no cutting, sanding drilling etc.

whistler said:
Don't want to alarm you, but how old is your textured ceiling? When I bought my house last year the surveyor pointed out that textured ceilings could contain asbestos and should be treated with care i.e no cutting, sanding drilling etc.

Yes recon' I ain't got long to go, it is a knocking bet mine has asbestos in it, I believe it is over 20 years old which is around the time it changed over, I had a hel* of a cough the following day to scraping a section, needless to say it is going to get plastered over now after Nige offered the advice I was seeking.
Thank's Whistler, I'll let you know if the cough returns :rolleyes:

roccodelucca said:
...I had a hel* of a cough the following day...

that will be due to not wearing a dust mask around builders dust. Asbestosis can take 20 or 50 years to show and is a kind of cancer. It is fatal and incurable so no laughing matter.

Thank's for that John I am fully aware of the health issues, yes I know I am a silly pratt, I have worked around builders dust for many years and normally always wear my mask, I should have known better, don't worry tho' if I see 20 years I won't complain and if I see 50 years I may just get into the Guinness book of records :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back