plaster patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are in the process of putting ensuite into master bedroom and i just wondered the room that is to be the ensuite has been stripped and skirting removed. As a result it's just the visible brick were the skirting board was.
A new shower tray will be fitted etc but wondered can i patch the bit were the skirting was with that ready mixed plaster patching stuff as at the end of the day it will be tiled floor to ceiling it just needs to be someting like for the shower tray to butt up to when the plumber comes.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
I personally would make a small mix up of sand and cement (4-1) enough to do what you want. Give the wall a good soaking with water and trowel the "muck" on then get a piece of batten (2"x 1") about 24" and hold it flush on the wall and "saw " it up and down as you move it along the wall which should bring the "muck" to the same level as the wall. If you get any "hollows" just fill them in with the muck and saw away again... Hope you can understand this . Just make sure you dampen the brickwork down enough so the muck doesn't go off to quick... ;)

I personally would make a small mix up of sand and cement (4-1) enough to do what you want. Give the wall a good soaking with water and trowel the "muck" on then get a piece of batten (2"x 1") about 24" and hold it flush on the wall and "saw " it up and down as you move it along the wall which should bring the "muck" to the same level as the wall. If you get any "hollows" just fill them in with the muck and saw away again... Hope you can understand this . Just make sure you dampen the brickwork down enough so the muck doesn't go off to quick... ;)

I'd do it exactly the same way using a mortar mix rather than plaster, especially as it's going to have a shower tray butted against it. Ready mixed plaster!!! for this type of work,,, yuk.

Thanks for the reply i assume this will be better than using the plaster mix or the the other plaster stuff that plasterers use on brick work is it that dot and dab stuff. Sorry about the none technial terms.
Lee

Sponsored Links
If you mix up a small amount of mortar as Roy said, and add a small amount of plasticiser in the water "before" you mix up, that will give you a good 4 sand 1 cement mortar mix for patching onto the bricks, especially as you're going to tile over it anyway. If you don't have any plasticiser,, for all you'd need anyway, use a "small" amout of Fairy liquid,,,, a dessert spoonful into a couple of litres of water, stir it in, use what you need in the mix, then throw the rest away. You don't need to be fussy with the finish on the render patch, as long as it's straight down, in line with the original plane of the wall.

Normally washed plastering sand for rendering, but just for a small patch like this, to be tiled over, soft building sand would be fine.

I would wait until the tray is fitted as usually its better to have the tray sunk into the wall a bit to allow the tiles to come down onto the top of the tray

Good point Wozz,, and also the internal corner of the wall might be slightly out of square, gives you a chance to come and go a little with fitting the tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back