Plaster Removed When Stripping Wallpaper

MVB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Would really appreciate some guidance.

Purchased 1925 property, stripping the wallpaper and a huge chunk comes off above the curtain rail. The otherwise level room does look curved at that point (as if the plaster caved). Photo attached.

Just checking:

(1) Is this a symptom of something more sinister? There was no subsidence risk in the detailed Home Buyers Survey we obtained.

(2) At what point should I get some plastering quotes (strip as far as I can or pack it in now)?

In anticipation, thank you.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20160413_130104.jpg
    IMG_20160413_130104.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
it looks like the wooden wallplate, that the ceiling joists stand on. It is not evidence of a problem. Wood expands and contracts slightly with the seasons, and plaster in this position often comes loose, and cracks or falls off when touched.

You say curtain rail so it could also be a wooden lintel, especially if there is a bay window. Examine and probe it for worm, damp or rot. Use a flat-ended screwdriver, nothing round or pointed as the marks will later look like beetle damage.

It might help to tack expanded metal lathing, or plasterboard, to the wood before replastering, or hide it with coving. A plasterer might know a better trick

• Thanks
Reactions: MVB
It happens all the time in older properties. The plaster/mortar doesn't adhere to the wooden lintels and eventually ends up 'blowing' off, and is rarely a structural issue. It's usually worsened by drilling/fixings for curtain rails, blinds, etc.
I would carefully remove all the loose stuff back to a relatively firm edge and then patch up with plaster (bonding may be required in some circumstances, if the hole is deep). If you keep pulling away at what appears to be a loose edge, you will often end up going down to the skirting!

• Thanks
Reactions: MVB
Sponsored Links
THANK YOU!

Very helpful & reassuring.

Stripped the whole room and it is just the pictured section (above the window bay).

I'll get someone in to help and report back.

This is the first of three bedrooms so may as well uncover the "hidden secrets" in one go.

Once again, THANKS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back