Plaster repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The walls in my house are a bit rough. The plaster is good but they have various marks, chips, old paint flakes that have been painted over, bad screw hole repairs and loads of nails! Generally the plaster is good with no loose sections I can find. I have filled loads of little holes but it still looks a little rough once painted.

My question is could I use a a product like Polysell Smoothover? Its a rollable plaster type thing so I think should work but anyone tried it or think it wont work?

EDIT - Ive google it now and seen many negative results - but tbh that means little to me, I mean it could be my mum trying to put it on and she would fail for sure!

Anyone tried it?

Sponsored Links
The product was invented in hell for use by DIY bodgers who either don't know any better or are doing an extremely cheapo make over prior to sale. Painting Artex mix on the walls or (god forbid) lining paper will probably look better! It will look horrendous & make proper renovation even more difficult in the future but a decent plasterer will re-skim & leave a perfect finish that will last for many years. I appreciate it’s not exactly a cheap option & maybe not the answer your looking for but posting for advice or opinions on that stuff on a plastering forum is unlikely to provoke a very good response. :LOL:

The product was invented in hell for use by DIY bodgers who either don't know any better or are doing an extremely cheapo make over prior to sale. Painting Artex mix on the walls or (god forbid) lining paper will probably look better! It will look horrendous & make proper renovation even more difficult in the future but a decent plasterer will re-skim & leave a perfect finish that will last for many years. I appreciate it’s not exactly a cheap option & maybe not the answer your looking for but posting for advice or opinions on that stuff on a plastering forum is unlikely to provoke a very good response. :LOL:

I can only agree with Richard's comments,,,, for the long term,, plastering over the walls is the best way forward.

Thanks for your reply Richard and rough. I was asking for honest opinions and that's what I got. I can't afford a plasterer right now so I guess I will have to filler some more and it will get plastered when I can afford it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Or do what a friend of mine did and get a few of the lads from the estate to come round and fill and sand all the bits and pay them a pittance :LOL:

Or do what a friend of mine did and get a few of the lads from the estate to come round and fill and sand all the bits and pay them a pittance :LOL:
Maybe a solution if your that hard up but god knows what it will end up looking like! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back