plaster skimmed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay whole house skimmed.have left walls for about a week to dry,.3 walls take paint......( one wall and roof with the following problems)
...used cheap matt emulsion,,put second coat on patches appear ,look like there is water on them and shiny and wet.leave overnight paint drys,,put another coat on same thing happens again ,thoough now you can wipe paint off , ....ahhh what can I do to resolve..Please help..... :oops:

Sponsored Links
If I were a gambling man I'd bet on these patches being on highly polished bits of plaster that don't absorb moisture. Solution - use sandpaper to rub the paintwork down a bit and key the surface of the plaster.

If I were a gambling man I'd bet on these patches being on highly polished bits of plaster that don't absorb moisture. Solution - use sandpaper to rub the paintwork down a bit and key the surface of the plaster.
will i use electric sander???also what does key the surface mean sorry>>>>

It basically means to roughen the surface (rather than it being smooth) it gives the coating something to cling to.

Sponsored Links

It basically means to roughen the surface (rather than it being smooth) it gives the coating something to cling to.

I know that was a good answer but did you have to say it twice?

Apologies, my internets not playing ball tonight, it went off after id pressed submit and subsequently pressed submit again. :oops:

I'll thank you for pointing that out.
Hey whats going on guys....heres me nearly topping myself with the despair im in...Okay tried to sand ended takeing off all paint in screed.......was told that I could use undercoat(oil based on marks?????what do you guys think...

Sounds to me like you've got PVA on your walls. Oil based undercoat IS your best bet.

I'll thank you for pointing that out.
Hey whats going on guys.
While the cat's away, the mice will play ;)
..heres me nearly topping myself with the despair im in...Okay tried to sand ended takeing off all paint in screed....
I don't understand what you mean by this, sorry. By the way, did I mention that I'd not use an electric sander

...was told that I could use undercoat(oil based on marks?????what do you guys think...
If the paint is struggling to stick to the plaster, I'm not sure that this would work at this moment in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back