plaster to floor gap - what to do with tanking membrane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure if this is a tiling, plastering or plumbing question...

I'm currently refurbing a downstairs utility/shower room with a solid screed floor. I've made a walk in shower base in the screed using an impey aquagrade former. I'll therefore be tanking the room with Impey waterguard membrane.

When using the waterguard membrane on the floor you're meant to stick a strip in the corner and then overlap the bit on the floor and the wall onto that but the problem is that (as normal) the plaster on the walls doesn't extend all the way down to the floor so there will be nothing for the first bit of membrane to stick to for an inch or so.

I'm thinking I should just fill this gap with expanding foam and trim flush to give something for the membrane to stick to. Or should I do something else?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you can use say asand an cement mix to fill that gap (dont use foam) - but first remove the lip at the bottom of the older plaster.
an then prep the bare masonry inside corner with say SBR.

your grano floor looks sound - why are you tanking it?
fwiw the floor looks like its solid grano concrete - so its not a screed.

Thanks for the info - grano congrete - noted! I'm a simple man - up til now, if was a grey, solid indoor floor, it was screed!

I did however dig out a corner and used screed to create the shower floor.

100_7817.JPG

Anyway... why am I tanking? good question. I could just tank the actual shower area (there will be screens so it's not a 'wet room' as such) however this room will also contains the main water supply into the house, the stopcock, a toilet, a sink, a water softener, a washing machine, a towel rail, a radiator and a crap ton of plumbing so I'm thinking at somepoint, something is gonna leak. My money is on the water softener.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back