Plasterboard adhesive not set after 2 weeks, clay like consistency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted some plasterboard a couple of weeks back using plasterboard adhesive. All seem to be ok but I have come to do some more today and on inspecting the bits nearest the doorframe it is really damp and the consistency of clay.

I can just pull it all off by hand, the stuff further back seems to be ok.

Any idea where i am going wrong? Surely it should have dried after 2 weeks, could it be the doorframe area is cold / damp? Will it eventually dry out and set or should I just pull it off until I get back to dry stuff and redo?

Anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Was the adhesive in date?

Yesterday at work I noticed that that old bag of tile grout that the customer had would not even interact with water. I poured water on the grout, and in spite of my attempts to mix the old powered grout and water, the powdered grout would not interact with the water added to it.

Adhesive sets rock hard after a couple off hours.
Can stay damp for weeks and in winter goes mouldy if not dried from cold conditions so it's odd it's still soft.
Try a summer fan on stool or something on low setting. Do this when shut up. Get some movement of air as best way to dry vs heat. Should see a difference in 6 hours.
In these warm days open up front and back. Get the natural warm air moving through properly.

Sponsored Links
It is in date so I don't think that is the issue, I have been having a closer look at a lump of it that I have taken off, I am starting to think that maybe it wasn't mixed properly.

It is really crumbly and wet, maybe that in combination with the coldness of the doorframe area have caused it. I have pulled the board down and tried again, made sure I have mixed real good this time.

Fingers crossed tomorrow all will be well :)

Thanks for the input so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back