Plasterboard Adhesive sticks to concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have taken an internal living room wall back to brick as the existing plaster was crumbling and knackered. Some of the mortar looks a bit tired so I am going to fill the mortar gaps. As I'm no brickie, I thought it might be simpler just to skim the exposed bricks and mortar with a concrete mix ( 1cement 4 building sand ). Hopefully this will fill the mortar gaps.
My main question is, after this is done will it be ok to dot and dab onto the proposed concrete skim? i presume the platerboard adhesive will stick to the concrete skim ok? Does anyone think there are any issues by doing this concrete skim or should I just fill the mortar gaps and dot and dab onto the bricks? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
As no-one posted for you so far - here's a starter!

Not sure of the structural merits of a render skim vs re-pointing, but would have thought board adhesive would stick to both (so long as properly cured/set)
IMO between these two, the re-pointed version may edge it, as a rougher key for the adhesive may allow the boards to stick better and poss a minor point, not to lose a small amount of internal thickness off the room too.

I suspect a more elegant solution would be the render all over and a multi-finish skim over the top?

Why not rake out the joints a bit and render over it if you have the capability then skim with multi would be best, although if you only have the capability to slap a coat of render on in a bad shape then you could score it up and dab on it after.

Sponsored Links
indeed,t he advice for external render is to remove/rake out mortar to give something for the render to get into and hold on, so rendering onto your current brickwork is fine.

as Newbie says, once it's dry dab onto it no probs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back