Plasterboard and door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New stud wall recently installed by builder. I have just plasterboarded the stud but it looks like the door casing sizes will either be to wide or not wide enough

Should the door casing be the same width as the stud and boarding? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The door casing should be level with you finished wall.
If you intend to plaster the wall, the board should recess about 3mm back of the frame. As that is the depth of plaster a standard two coat skim application.
So normally, the door case lining would need to be suitably sized for the stud work, with with addition of two sides of 12.5mm (25mm) boards and two sides of 3mm(6mm) plaster.
25+6=31mm
So if you had 100mm stud this would require 131mm door liner/frame/case.
75mm stud would be 106mm liner.
What exactly is your problem? There could be a solution if you would like to elaborate!

Boarded both sides of casing?
If so contact a local timber merchants they will sort you out.
If you have no joy, then you could run a 5mm timber strip over top of stud or 6mm ply.

Sponsored Links
The off the shelf door casings from the DIY stores are no good for me then?

Do I need to get the timber cut to size from a timber merchant.

:confused:

Studwork is 95 mm , plaster can be 2.5mm each side so that will be total 100mm + 12.5mm for board either side which will be grand total of 125mm so get frame to suit . They should be standard size .Try magnets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back