1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Flush door in new stud wall

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by roganty, 21 May 2019.

1. roganty

roganty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm building a stud wall against the stairs and need to install a door for under the stairs.

Due to not wanting to see some random door and architrave I had wondered if there was a way to fit a door flush with the wall without the architrave.*

My plan was to fit the door frame flush with the studs and then fit the ply lining and plasterboard over the frame.

Would this work, or is there a different way to achieve this?

I'm assuming I would need some form of beading or edging strip to protect the corner?

Thanks for all your help

*I'm not after a perfect hidden door, just something that would pass muster from a meter or two away.

2. magicmushroom666

magicmushroom666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've done similar before and the plasterer used a stop bead (i think) around the edges which worked well. Look up Soss hinges as well.

3. roganty

roganty

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that. So it seems that what I was planning was on the right track.

Is the stop bead put on just before plastering, or does it need to go on while boarding?

If the door was in the middle of the wall, then I would use a Soss hinge, but as it is right against the corner I might just stick with a parliament hinge.

4. magicmushroom666

magicmushroom666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The beads went on right before plastering, i let the guy do that how he wanted it, just did the boarding myself.

• Thanks Thanks x 1