plasterboard and insulation for a guest bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am currently working on our downstairs bathroom and need some advice regarding plasterboard choice and insulation. I have removed the old plasterboard as I could not remove the tiles without damaging the plasterboard and removed the old insulation which wasn’t great to be honest. So I am ready for a fresh start but would like some advice on quality material.

Below some images how it looks at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 82871E86-7D1B-439A-8D92-F5E311819D71.jpeg
    82871E86-7D1B-439A-8D92-F5E311819D71.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 5A1A102F-E0FC-4AFC-A651-8A5774D99851.jpeg
    5A1A102F-E0FC-4AFC-A651-8A5774D99851.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 06DFA7FA-FC05-475D-9C19-33F6485D668C.jpeg
    06DFA7FA-FC05-475D-9C19-33F6485D668C.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Rockwool type slabs in the stud wall, if the block wall is a cavity wall it won't require insulating.

Tile backer board in the wet area then normal plasterboard for the rest.

Rockwool type slabs in the stud wall, if the block wall is a cavity wall it won't require insulating.

Thanks, the block wall is insulated indeed and the previous person has just put plasterboard on it with some kind of mortar glue. Is there a better way without compromising on space? Something I can apply on the wall straight away making sure it comes not down in me due to the weight of the tiles later on?
Thanks

I'd probably use plasterboard expanding foam then once it's gone off drill a few holes in the board, then into the block and use screws and wall plugs to make sure it can't go anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the last question I promise

As this will be a second bathroom even we won’t use it too much what would you use for the floor before tiling?
Thanks

Good morning @thomp1983,
I finally purchased the insulation this morning and was hoping you could confirm something for me.

I have chosen sound insulation as the two walls which need new insulation are to the kitchen room and floor so nothing to the exterior walls which are insulated anyway. Those on the image are the correct ones right? Maybe another question, what is the best method to cut them into the right size?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 29DC329D-6C2E-4BD9-A9E7-B5F535DA060A.jpeg
    29DC329D-6C2E-4BD9-A9E7-B5F535DA060A.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 48
Looks fine, I hold the slab upto the space it's going in make a couple of cuts in the edges with a Stanley knife at the right size then put it on the floor or a trestle and cut fully to size.

If anything try to make sure your cuts are bigger than the spaces, you can squash it in if it's slightly big whereas trying to cut small pieces to fill in is hard work.

Id also recommended wearing long sleeves and gloves whilst doing it.

Looks fine, I hold the slab upto the space it's going in make a couple of cuts in the edges with a Stanley knife at the right size then put it on the floor or a trestle and cut fully to size.

If anything try to make sure your cuts are bigger than the spaces, you can squash it in if it's slightly big whereas trying to cut small pieces to fill in is hard work.

Id also recommended wearing long sleeves and gloves whilst doing it.
Thank you mate, this is super helpful

Thank you mate, this is super helpful
@thomp1983 I am finally donw with the basic’s even I have a small bump due to the socket but it will not be a problem for the plasterboard so will leave it this way.

Out of your experience, would it make more sense to buy 1.2 x 2.4m or for easier handling smaller? I am unsure how stable they are and don’t want that they break when carrying.
Thanks

Attachments

• 9E82205F-6E70-4F02-9F54-178EEF3028BD.jpeg
    9E82205F-6E70-4F02-9F54-178EEF3028BD.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 35
I'd use 1.2x2.4 boards if you can get them home and into the work area comfortably.

The disadvantage with smaller boards is they will cost you more.

I'd use 1.2x2.4 boards if you can get them home and into the work area comfortably.

The disadvantage with smaller boards is they will cost you more.
Yes, I have read up about it and most people recommend the same. You have also more joints and it will take longer so will give it a go.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back