1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Plasterboard Ceiling

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by bamboo, 6 Jun 2007.

1. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm intending to plasterboard our lounge ceiling. I've read on the forum that the plasterboard needs to be staggered. Would that be staggered along the long or the short side of the plasterboard. and does it matter?

Thanks for your advice

2. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    stagger the long side, which incidentally needs to be at 90 deg to the joists.

this means you don't have several ends of a board joining on one joist. ;)

3. Sponsored Links
  4. bamboo

bamboo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply Noseall.

I've ordered 8' x 4' plasterboard which would work well with our joists dims (16" centres) only to find out they are in metric sizes - 2400 x 1200. I'm going to have loads of offcuts, I know you've said the plasterboard should at 90 deg to the joists, can I run this in line with the joists (as I think this is more efficient) or am I just asking for cracks in my ceiling?

Ta.

5. sanj.varah

sanj.varah

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    well its more likely, but if you use the thick stuff 15mm+ and not the 9mm you should be okay.

Also when you put it up, put more fixings than necessary and use screws instead of nails.

once the fixings are up. scrim over them too. as these invariably pop after 2-3 years if they haven't been scrimmed.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links