Plasterboard Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to plasterboard our lounge ceiling. I've read on the forum that the plasterboard needs to be staggered. Would that be staggered along the long or the short side of the plasterboard. and does it matter?

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
stagger the long side, which incidentally needs to be at 90 deg to the joists.

this means you don't have several ends of a board joining on one joist. ;)

Thanks for your reply Noseall.

I've ordered 8' x 4' plasterboard which would work well with our joists dims (16" centres) only to find out they are in metric sizes - 2400 x 1200. I'm going to have loads of offcuts, I know you've said the plasterboard should at 90 deg to the joists, can I run this in line with the joists (as I think this is more efficient) or am I just asking for cracks in my ceiling?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
well its more likely, but if you use the thick stuff 15mm+ and not the 9mm you should be okay.

Also when you put it up, put more fixings than necessary and use screws instead of nails.

once the fixings are up. scrim over them too. as these invariably pop after 2-3 years if they haven't been scrimmed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back