Plasterboard / Drywall over hydraulic lime masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm redoing an old (400 years+) building, made entirely of stone masonry + lime mortar.

One of the walls needs reinforcement as it's starting to bow outwards, so we will be using a seismic GFRP net (probably going with premier sismanet/sismawall), which gets pinned to the wall from the inside and sprayed with mortar. Due to the existing masonry, I plan to use a softer hydraulic lime (3.5 probably) to make the mortar (30mm thick).

This has the added advantage of letting the walls/building breathe (vs portland), and not be as humid.

That said, the intention is to finish the interior with steel studs + drywall (with a layer of insulation between).

Part of me thinks it's best to line everything with a DPM before the drywall goes in - but that will do away with the breath-ability of the wall (and may impact the lime's strength, as it needs the CO2 to cure properly over months).
Part of me things, that as plaster is breathable itself, I should just put the steel studs + plasterboard without any DPM, and let the whole thing "breathe".

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back