Plasterboard fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: Sorry, I seem to have posted in the wrong forum - thought I was posting in the general DIY forum... I thought that the drop down to confirm would have re-selected the general diy forum!

Hello,

I was putting a bathroom cabinet up in our bathroom (plasterboard walls) - got one of those metal fixing that crush inwards like a star (if you get what I mean?) in fine after hammering it in so it gripped the wall. When I put the other 3 in, and tightened the screw up, they tore a hole in the plasterboard. Trying in vein to get a grip I've now got 3 holes in my plasterboard.

Is there anything similar to expanding foam that I can squirt in that'll take at least a rawplug or fixing so I can fix up a bathroom cabinet?

It's in themiddle of a wall where we'd like it - so moving it would be a bit of a pain (plus, now I've been informed that the paint we used has now been discontinued so I can't even touch the damn walls up if I do find somewhere else for it to move to).

It's a plasterboard wall the other side of the bathroom wall, so I can't even get a fixing off brickwork or similar.

I hate plasterboard!

Thanks in advance (my wife is going to kill me when she sees it!)

Sponsored Links
Just found another thread recommending the setting tools - didn't realise that they existed.. that may help my problem - happy for this thread to be deleted :)

If you are still around, you need spring toggle cavity fixings.

These will fit the holes you have already made.

Thanks- I've used them, the setting tool really helped :) wife is off my back!!!

Sponsored Links
My ceiling was starting to fall so I pulled it down and need to replace it, but am not sure what to use. I removed horse hair plaster which was up to an inch/25mm thick and want the equivalent or better sound resistance. Can anyone recommend the appropriate thickness of plasterboard and/or should I use insulated board (I'm not that bothered about heat, but wouldn't mind if it insulates a bit better)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back