Plasterboard for boxing?? Some advice needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

Just read some posts regarding boxing in pipes in the bathroom and have sesn a few people mentioning that plasterboard is a good option

I have some gyproc moisture resistant left over from the walls but was just wandering if this suitable for boxing that needs to be removable..

Also, would this be suitable to use as a bath panel that will be tiled and also removable.

Would be grateful for the advice...

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
moisture panel ok for walls, but I would use cement board for areas in tub or shower area, can be nailed or screwed to studs and is excellant for wet areas, doesn't go mushy with damp or mildew.
Made to be tiled over.

thanks for the advice...
I have used aquapanel (cement board) for where there will be tilng done around the bath area... and used moisture resistant plasterboard for other areas...

I was planning to make a bath panel from tiles... the only thing with aquapanel is that it only comes in 120cm widths....bath panel will be wider than this...

was thinking of using WBP plywood..at least 12mm thick.... using flexible adhesive, so thought this might be an option... easier to get the panel in one whole length, rather than using two pieces of aquapanel..

Sponsored Links
hmmmm.... a few different opinions here.... any reasons why and why not to use plasterboard for bath panel... even if it is moisture resistant gyproc...

any other materials that you can suggest snowbound... i know theres aqualpanel...but as mentioned before, this doesnt come in sheets above 120x 90cm... and ideally i would like to have the whole panel as one sheet...

thanks for the replies...

what is wrong with plasterboard ? i have a tiled shower for 15 years getting wet 4 - 5 times daily without being tanked if its done properly no problems

have you ever done a bath panel from plasterboard though?

only thing ive been thinking about plasterboard as bath panel is if water gets in through the 'under-lip' of the bath.... bearing in mind the panel will be a removable one, so it wont exactly be water-tight either...

whats so wrong with WBP ply....? cant imagine that everyone building their own panel uses aquapanel... :rolleyes:

DO NOT use plasterboard for a bath panel
I Use plasterboard for bath panels all the time,coat it with tanking fluid if your worried about moisture.Used it in my own bathroom for bathpanel which was done about 6 years ago,three kids regularly swamping the bathroom and no ill effects suffered ;)

well ive got moisture resistant plasterboard... but where can i get some of this tanking fluid from...? i have some leftover product from a dunlop waterproofing kit...can i use something from there?

thanks for the advice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back